Heisman Watch

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Since I got a player in this race ( Keenum) , me be thread starting....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman09/index

[​IMG]Jimmy Clausen, QB
    School: Notre Dame
    Class: Junior
    Ht: 6-3 Wt: 223
    Comment: If numbers told the whole story, Clausen would still be a favorite to win the award, but despite throwing for 452 yards against Navy, the Irish lost and Clausen just doesn't have any signature wins. If Clausen can help Notre Dame beat Pittsburgh this weekend, he could get back into the race.

Toby Gerhart, RB
    School: Stanford
    Class: Sophomore
    Ht: 6-1 Wt: 237
    Comment: Gerhart has been hanging around the Heisman race in "others to watch" most of the season, but after a 223-yard performance in the upset over Oregon, Gerhart has a real chance to be a finalist. Stanford still has three high-profile games left -- at USC, Cal and Notre Dame -- and if he can perform at a high level the rest of the year, look for Gerhart to finish in the Top 5.

[​IMG]Mark Ingram, RB
    School: Alabama
    Ht: 5-10 Wt: 215
    Comment: In one of Alabama's biggest games of the season, Ingram ran for 144 yards on 22 carries and is now the favorite to win the Heisman. The one drawback facing Ingram is one glaring statistics -- only eight touchdowns. He still has plenty of time to improve on those numbers and a victory over Florida in the SEC Championship could really help.

[​IMG]Case Keenum, QB
    School: Houston
    Class: Junior
    Ht: 6-1 Wt: 212
    Comment: All Keenum does is continue to put up crazy numbers. This week he threw for 522 yards and three touchdowns in the win over Tulsa to move Keenum into a solid No. 2 in the Heisman race. He leads the nation in passing yards and touchdowns, but will need to keep Houston winning.

[​IMG]Colt McCoy, QB
    School: Texas
    Class: Senior
    Ht: 6-3 Wt: 210
    Comment: That's all it took for McCoy to get back into the race -- 470 yards passing and two touchdowns. With a down year in the Heisman race, a strong finish could help McCoy take home the trophy. He doesn't have the best overall numbers, but since he has had a remarkable career, McCoy just might win it as a career achievement award.

Kellen Moore, QB
    School: Boise State
    Ht: 6-0 Wt: 187
    Comment: Moore had another strong performance, throwing for 354 yards and three touchdowns in the win over Louisiana Tech, but is only showing up on one Heisman ballot. Even his overall numbers are better than McCoy's. Boise State definitely needs to keep winning and scoring points for Moore to have any shot.

C.J. Spiller, RB
    School: Clemson
    Ht: 5-11 Wt: 195
    Comment: One of the best all-purpose players in the nation is starting to get some Heisman love after his career-high 165 yards rushing against Florida State. His overall numbers don't tell the whole story either as he also has a 35.3-yard kickoff return average with three touchdowns.

Tim Tebow, QB
    School: Florida
    Ht: 6-3 Wt: 245
    Comment: Tebow accounted for three touchdowns, including two rushing, in the win over Vanderbilt, but still can move up the rankings in the Heisman race. With just 1,531 yards passing and 11 touchdowns on the season, Tebow just doesn't have the numbers to be considered a frontrunner.

Others to watch
    Noel Devine RB Jr. West Virginia 167 carries, 1,010 yards (6.1 avg), 10 TDs
    Dion Lewis RB Fr. Pittsburgh 203 carries, 1,139 yards (5.6 avg), 12 TDs
    Ryan Mathews RB Jr. Fresno State 205 carries, 1,459 yards (7.1 avg), 14 TDs
    Jacquizz Rodgers RB Soph. Oregon State 197 carries, 989 yards (5.0 avg), 15 TDs
    Jordan Shipley WR Sr. Texas 75 receptions, 1,050 yards (14.0 avg), 6 TDs, 14.5-yard punt return average, 2 TDs

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

What I like about Case Keenum:
    4 game winning drives, some lasting only 30 seconds or less.
    Has torn up ranked and BCS teams (3)
    Calls his own plays
    High completion percentage ( 72%)
    3 500 yard games already
    Sack rate is only 2% in 400 passes.

Go Case! Challenge those BCS hopefuls and take it.

Against Mississippi State, Keenum completed 75 percent of his passes for 434 yards and four touchdowns. Florida’s quarterback Tim Tebow completed 54.5 percent of his passes against the Bulldogs for 127 yards, no touchdowns and finished with 215 total yards and one score.

Against Oklahoma State, Keenum completed 69.5 percent of his passes for 366 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. He also rushed for a score. Texas quarterback Colt McCoy completed 76.2 percent of his passes against the Cowboys for 171 yards and one score.

[​IMG]

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think it is Colt McCoy's to lose. If the Longhorns can stay undefeated, with Tebow slacking this year, McCoy is too high profile to not get the votes.

4. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Go Mark!

Mark runs over quality competition week in and out. He has single handedly saved Alabama's SEC championship run on a number of occasions. I think it's between him and McCoy.

You may want to add CJ spiller to the list as well.

5. jdog

jdog I like beer!

I haven't cared since Manning didn't get it. Seems to me a that it is more a political contest than an athletic competition.
    Sour grapes? Maybe. I hold a grudge forever.

6. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Ryan Mathews has been the best player in college football this year, IMO. The kid's a beast. But I think Clausen or McCoy wins it.

Don't look now boys, but Jon Crompton should be in the top-10 in the Heisman race....flame away.

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Er-ic Ber-ry ;)

8. jdog

jdog I like beer!

That was actually a joke about 4 weeks ago. How things change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar