Heimerdinger Wanting More from WRs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

[​IMG]

Those wide receivers are CHEAP!

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's rare that a rookie has 900 yards in his rookie season. But those chances surely go up if that rookie starts. From what I've seen, we'd be as good going with a rookie starter as we are going with McCareins, B.Jones, whoever.

On the second point you said, even as a Vols fan, I was never very big on Meachem and glad we didn't draft him. Ginn Jr though, I may be in the minority, but I would be psyched if we had him. He could end up a bust, and we never had a shot drafting him, but I would've liked it if he had ended up a Titan.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

According to whom? Many teams skipped over WRs. No way we'll know for some time whether or not the Titans missed out on someone.

Maybe. But this group of WRs, who Dinger said was a good group, has not played in ONE GAME THAT MEANS ANYTHING yet. None. Nada.

I don't see the need to jump to conclusions until the games mean something.

4. Riverman

I'm not sure I"m following. Gage, Williams, and McCareins are vets and have played in many games. The others are 2nd years who should be demonstrating they are worthy of game time. That is what pre-season is for- so I don't think the "it's just pre-season" line of reasoning holds any validity at all. You really don't think they are magically going to start getting separation and not drop balls during the regular season do you?

Please clarify.

And again-my main response to this article is simply that the organization doesn't have anybody but themselves to blame for poor WR production. The organization is responsible for scouting, drafting, player development, reasonble depth and FA acquisition. I realize Dinger may just be trying to motivate the squad, but I can't deny they appear below average.

5. TitanJeff

Which ones? Step on out there and name anyone we could have taken in the first round who will outproduce either Gage or McCareins. But do it before the season because hindsight is worthless here.

6. TitanJeff

I think they'll be much more effective in the regular season. They've been much more sure-handed in camp.

Give me the options. They've taken as many WRs the last few drafts as any team in the NFL. They brought in a top dollar WR two years ago. They tried for another and wasn't even outbid. They brought in Gage at a bargain and he performed well enough to earn a long-term deal. They got McCareins for a song. Who could they have had they don't?

Now, if you want say the Titans drafting of WRs has been poor, I'd agree. They've not hit on anyone yet. But the bulk of the guys are just entering their second season. R. Williams has been hurt. The only higher draft pick they've let go has been Roby.

But I agree it's valid to question the selection of many of the WR picks the last few season. But hindsight is a luxury the Titans don't have on draft day.

"Appear" is the key word here. Let's talk after the games count.

7. Riverman

TJ- it is true that the pre-season doesn't count for squat as far as the record, but you can't deny it is important to assess who makes the squad, where your team, assessing individual's skills in order to gameplan for opening day, etc. Yes, the pre-season play-calling is vanilla which does have an impact on scoring TD's but our WR's are separating or holding on to the ball where. That does mean something because that is UNLIKELY to significantly improve.

We haven't scouted, drafted or developed WR's well. I don't know which one, if any, of those we have done worse. We could have landed some WR's, we just haven't been willing to spend big money and we have only been interested in "value" shopping. Is that smart? Not if our offense is getting stymied and opposing D's stop our run. I agree we'll just have to see if our WR's give us enough to keep that from happening. If so, then we have been wise to be prudent in the FA WR market.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well, that's kind of hard to do. If we drafted a WR early, there is a chance we would be using that WR as a starter. It's hard for me to bet on rookie's against Gage, when Gage is our number1 and no rookies are number1 anywhere.

That said, I think Desean Jackson has the best chance, since the Eagles WR core is depleted. I think Devin Thomas and/or Malcolm Kelly could be good WRs, but I'm not sure how much chance they will get in Washington behind Santana and Randel-El.

To me, this is like the "There were no first round WR talent because none were taken in the first" argument. Well true, but another line of thinking is there were 6 WRs ranked similarly, and maybe the teams figured they could pass in round 1, to get another need, and still get a top ranked WR according to their board.
    In other words, the lack of talent seperation between the top WRs in this draft helped cause their slide on draft day.

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

And you forget Jason Jones is having a solid playmaking preseason for us. We went 10-6 last year without a great wide receiver. We went 0-3 without a great defensive tackle. (Haynesworth)

We have spent an insane amount of mid-round picks on wide receivers the last few years. Still nothing to show. So you expect management to take more mid-round receivers instead of guys who can and will contribute THIS year?

I agree we need to find some receivers, but we have to wait for the opportunity to come. It just has happened yet.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TitanJeff

I personally don't think it has as much impact as what the coaches see in practice throughout OTAs and training camp.

Do you think Ganther has a shot to make the team based on one half of football in a preseason game? Nope. If he makes it it will be because of his work at BSP.

So they can play well at training camp and have a few drops in one half of football and now they can't get it done?

I am willing to bet anyone here that the receiving yards by our WR group will pass last season by 20% or more. Want to put a overpriced $8 LP Field Corona on it? :yes:

Again, I ask who? Name names.

Stallworth was about the only name in '07. We tried for him. This year, it was Berrian who had one decent season and was paid as if he was an elite WR. Do you have either of these guys ranked high in your next fantasy draft?

Me either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar