HeadOnASwivel's Titans mock... the one you've all been waiting for.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by HeadOnASwivel, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Let me begin but laying out my plan and the reasons behind it, this may take some time but bear with me.

This draft is, by no means, a sexy draft. This is more of what I would consider a safe approach to a draft with some emphasis on upside. I feel our team is in a minor rebuilding phase, and I don't feel that one draft will fill all the holes or fix all he problems so I'm taking more of a long term two year approach. The main reason we are in a rebuilding phase is due to prior drafts, most notably, big time busts along the way. Guys such as Wolfolk, Calico, Henry, Pacman, LenDale, VY, Paul Williams were drafted mainly on intangibles and not production; many had questionable attitudes. Basically we are in this position because we have not been drafting smartly, this draft is is pretty much the opposite of that.

I don't want "one year wonders" or guys with too many "question marks". I don't draft a top QB, at least not one in the first two rounds. I just feel that there are too many question marks with this crop, and we just cannot afford to miss on guys high anymore, especially a quarterback... cough, cough, Vince Young.

With the lack of a CBA and no free-agency we can't afford to draft a quarterback high, just to sit him and let him learn for one to two years. Unlike prior years, free agency will come after the draft so we have to be smart. It seems as though the highest rated quarterbacks this year fit that mold, Newton, Gabbert, Locker all will need time to develop. However we just don't know what, if any, veteran free agent we can sign so we need to draft a guy who is very pro ready. To me, these types seem to be the second tier of guys, Ponder, Stanzi, Mallet, McElroy, Dalton. This is why, I skip the top names and focus on the ones who may be more ready to see the field this year.

I think most of us can agree, that games are won in the trenches and the foundation of great teams are their offensive and defensive lines. In my eyes our offensive line has been atrocious ever since Mawae go hurt and Harris had to start at center in the dreaded Baltimore game. Harris is a borderline bust at this point, Amano is awful and Scott is very average and his contract will be up soon. Let's face it, this team is powered by CJ and the running game, Palmer and Munch have even said that the playbook is not changing much. I'm tired of our running game getting no push and tons of holding calls, all from the inside three guys. I feel Roos is an elite left tackle and Big Country is an underrated right tackle. Fixing our interior offensive line should be a huge priority, because it doesn't matter what stud quarterback or receiver we have if we don't have an offensive line.

Anyway, here is my draft... I reserve the right to change it once up until draft day :). I'm trying to make this draft as accurate as possible, including realistic, feasible trades. Nothing like drafting Patrick Peterson in the third, nothing unrealistic like that.

**********************************************************************************

1.8 - Traded to San Diego (Chargers select J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin). * Tennessee receives San Diego's 1st round pick (1.18), 2nd round pick (2.18) and 6th round pick (6.18).

San Diego feels they are on the cusp of greatness thus will be inclined to move up and grab a couple key pieces to get them over the hump. Watt is, easily, the best five technique in the draft and SD needs a player like him. Watt can hold up against the run very well and rush the passer effectively from the outside. But more importantly, he can play the nose on passing or nickel downs and be a pass rushing force on the inside. The guy has a motor like KVB and is ridiculously athletic. I feel that they are going to keep going with Larry English on the outside, and try to rush him along side with Watt.

1.18 - Traded to Philadelphia, (The Eagles select Tyron Smith, OT, USC). * Tennessee receives Philadelphia's 1st round pick (1.23) and 3rd round pick (3.23) - Philadelphia receives Tennessee's 7th round pick (7.9).

The Eagles right tackle situation is in shambles, from Dunlap to Justice they are both god awful. Now Peters in is trouble; off the field junk. Smith is going to be the best pass blocking tackle in the draft, and in Philly, pass blocking comes first. Worst case scenario Smith starts day one at right tackle, best case he moves to left tackle and dominates there. I think the run on tackles will start with the Giants, so Philly is going to have to jump up to get their guy... good thing for us we now hold the 18th pick.

1.23 - Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida
    Best interior offensive lineman in this draft. Just a dominant pass and run blocker and I would draft him to play center, but he'd excel at guard if needed. Very safe and solid again rebuilding from the inside out. One of the safest players in the entire draft.

2.7 - Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
    Severely underrated prospect; he is one of my top rated QB's of the entire draft. He has adequate size, a good arm and most importantly he's perhaps the most accurate QB in the draft. I love a guy who has won in College, and has a lot of experience; 42 wins and a four year starter. Has a 61% completion rate in his career and improved each and every year with his TD/INT ratio. Very smart and a good leader, he is the type of QB that could play and contribute his rookie year if called upon. Very likely he gets drafted before our pick in the 2nd, for some reason the Browns scare me and may nab him. Hopefully he makes it to us, it is a possibility.

2.18 (From S.D) - Bruce Carter, LB, UNC
    Pure upside here with Carter. When he played he looked amazing, would be he missing LB we need that can actually cover a TE. Missed last year due to an ACL tear, otherwise, we're talking about him being a top 20 pick. In today's age of medicine, ACL's are nowhere nearly as bad as they once were. His stock is dropping because of the injury and we'd be lucky to land him here... fingers crossed.

3.13 - Greg Little, WR, UNC
    Again upside and a big value pick here. Physically impressive with great hands and run after the catch ability. Some character concerns here, said to have a "diva" mentality. He's a bit of a risk, but were talking 3rd round here so the benefits outweigh the risks with Little. Anyone who says we don't need a receiver is fooling themselves. Any player we draft, at every position minus RB and OT could be an upgrade. Britt is a stud, when his head is on straight, but Washington as a starting outside receiver... please. Oh we have Gage, Hawk who just can't get it figured out, and Williams who may end up being solid but will never be spectacular.

3.23(From Philly) - Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
    Seems like a perfect fit for our 4-3. Good enough size, very low center of gravity, plays with good leverage. Strong at the point of attack and is a decent penetrator. He seems like the kind of guy that can be coached up to become an even better pass rusher.

4.12 - Casey Matthews, ILB, Oregon
    What he lacks in speed and size he makes up for with instincts. The guy is always around the ball and has a very high football IQ. And he's a Matthews. If he bulks up a bit he can play inside, as is now, he can kick outside until he's ready to play MLB.

4.33 (comp) - Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh
    Maybe not the best edge rusher, but will get better over time. Stock falling due to a serious back injury, but if he checks out medically he could be a steal late in the 4th.

5.11 - Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama
    Love this guy, a bit of a poor mans Dalton to me. He's basically Dalton a little smaller with a weaker arm. Very smart and driven, great comp % and is one of the more NFL ready QB's in the draft.

6.10 - Roy Helu, RB, Nebraska
    Highly underrated back, watched many of his games as a Husker fan. Deceptive speed and is a decent receiver. Not looking for a guy to start, but CJ needs a backup that has the speed to hit a home run.

6.18 (From S.D.) -Shiloh Keo, SS, Idaho
    The safety class is super weak this year, so I don't think we should be drafting one high at all. I'd still like to see what Johnson and Rolle have in the tank, and Keo would give us some good depth and will be a special teams demon. Deion Sanders and Mike Mayock raved about him at the combine, amazing footwork and agility. Ran a sad 4.7 but I don't think Hope or Rolle would are any faster.

7.9 - Traded to Philly

7.50 (comp) - Henry Hynoski, FB, Pittsburgh
    Beast of a blocker, would be a nice backup to Sarge who is not getting any younger. A good receiver Hynoski can play H-back and possibly give us a bit of a look at a blocking TE.

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

I don't like the Pouncey pick. If a trade like that happened I hope it is for one of the second tier QBs.
    I like the Dalton pick but why would they take McElroy later?
    LOVE the Casey Matthews pick. I seriously love this guy.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Say those trades with the Chargers and Eagles happened...

There's no way in hell they'd give us that much. I could see the Chargers giving a 3rd and 4th and the Eagles giving a 4th and no more.

4. 24

24 Starter

Bruce Carter. Bruce Campbell was the super freak tackle from last year's draft.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I don't think those trades are possible, little unrealistic; but still possible.

Not a huge fan of your draft, but it does fill our needs. With your picks, here what I would do:

1.23 - Jake Locker, QB, Wash (We need a franchise QB)
    2.7 - Martez Wilson, LB, Ill (Martez can play OLB or ILB, which is perfect for us)
    2.18 - Stefen Wisniewski, OG/C, Penn St (Can play LG or C, which is also perfect for us)
    3.13 - Marvin Austin, DT, UNC (Big ole DT that can fill up the middle)
    3.23 - Titus Young, WR, Boise St (Fallin' on board, could be a solid #2 WR, eventually)
    4.12 - Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt (Steal of the 4th round, could be an instant starter)
    4.33 - DeMarco Murray, RB, OKLAHOMA (CJ2K backup, we need a 1-2 punch)
    5.11 - Jeron Johnson, SS, Boise St (Had a great combine, could be starter if develops)
    6.10 - Chris Rucker, CB, Mich St (Could get the #4 CB spot)
    6.18 - Lee Smith, TE, Marshall (Blocking #3 TE)
    7.50 - Quentin Davie, OLB, Northwestern (Solid depth, if he makes the roster)

FA Pickup: Keith Payne, RB, Virginia (Monster RB, Blount style, goalline carries)

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

^^what a dream draft besides Locker.

7. xpmar9x

:wink2: haha, yeah i know... i'm a dreamer :grrhee:

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I hate fantasy mocks. 2 trades in the first round and then hope that Nevis can last until the 23rd pick in rd 3 to begin to address the D-line?

Just do a mock based on where we pick. We are not a team that has traded spots a lot early and we don't know what we can honestly get from those trades.

9. xpmar9x

I agree, I hate fantasy mocks. Trades are so unpredictable. I like mocks with normal draft positions.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

xpmar9x, Demarco Murray is from Oklahoma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar