Head Coach thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Comparing apples to oranges is pointless and misleading. Taking an average ranking when he took over a rebuilding team and then had to QB is not the same situation we are in. Secondly, Bold and Fitz where there for YEARS WITH WARNER before Whisenhunt got there and yet they went no where. A lot of coaches waste great talent but while Boldin and Fitz were great every year, Warner was NOT. We was avg to slightly above avg but under Whisenhunt in his 2nd year (first year as full time starter) we played at an MVP level (outplayed Brady, Peyton and Brees). Rivers play the last 2 seasons also had fallen to similar levels and Rivers is back playing at a top 5 level once again. So a lot of your argument is misleading and not accurate. I actually broke this down for a Cards fan who mistakenly thought similarly.

What did Whisenhunt's DEFENSE do?

What we are missing with this thread is not which GUY you want to be HC but which PAIR? If Whisenhunt is HC, who is gonna be his DC...Gregg Williams? Wade Phillips? If Quin is the HC, who is the OC? Kubiak? Linehan? Shanahan?

The combination to me is MUCH more important than the individual guy. I expect that if we get Whisenhunt or Bevell that they will run the offense and make it much better. But they need a strong DC to 'own' that side of the ball. Flip that with Quinn. I expect he can turn the D into a top 10 group but who's gonna improve our offense?

So you should ask yourself...do I want Quinn AND Kubiak? Or Whisenhunt and Gregg Williams?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

If Whisenhunt is bringing ray horton as DC, I will be pleased. But Munch is gone so i will be happy with whomever they hire. If it is down to the lions and the titans like some say........isn't the titans the better job? Do not have the cap issues, I still do not think stafford is a franchise qb and next coach stuck with him, we play in the worst division in football, Lions play in the north with the bears and packers, Nashville is a much better place to live than detroit, and the franchise as a whole as had more success here.

3. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

If Whisenhunt is our coach, I hope he gets Keith Butler from the Steelers to be DC. Would be a huge steal for us.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Really? Did Munchak turn around a perennially losing team and take us to a Super Bowl and almost win it? How many first place finishes did we have in our division? How many second place? Which of our players did Munchak help turn into a near MVP? Since Munchak's specialty is OL, how many of those units did he significantly improve? Did he turn any of those into a top 5 OL?

You made your point you don't want Whisenhunt and that's fine, but some of this nonsense is silly.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Wiz>Munch by far

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Roethlisberger went from being rather lost to a good QB under Whisenhunt. Warner and Rivers had a couple of avg years before being resurrected by Whisenhunt. And they weren't slight improvements. I think SD's offense was ranked about 30 last year and was top 5 this year adding a rookie RT, Danny Woodhead and a 3rd rnd WR. I'd say that's a BIG improvement.

How well did the Colts do when Peyton was out all year? Most teams playing backups for the majority of the season (or more) will do poorly. Yes, the Pats with Cassell were an exception but the Cards were built around the passing game so removing the franchise QB is a big deal.

But the flip side with Whisenhunt (and I'd say the same thing about anyone brought in) is I don't want him having control over personell. I think Bevell and Whisenhunt can be held partly responsible for getting teams to bring in QB's that didn't work out. Leave the personell to Ruston.

And for me, I think who they want to bring in as a counterpart (who would Whisenhunt bring in as DC or OC for Quinn) is a large part of the direction they want to go.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Can't argue with his results as an OC.

As for the Peyton Manning thing.. They had a stooge coaching the team, and a stooge GM putting together the team around him.

A sign of a bad head coach is when the team goes from first to worst based on one player.

To me.. that means the coach's greatness is only as strong as his QB.. Which means it is really not much strength at all.

A solid head coach/GM combo has a contingency plan in place in case of a worst-case scenario.

That's why I say people like Whisenhunt and Caldwell were not good coaches in their first tenures.

Caldwell looked like All-World for awhile with PM as his QB.. and he is incompetent as they come.

No Solid head coach should ever see his team be as horrible as the Colts were in 2011, and as bad as the Cardinals were after Warner retired. That is an indictment on them.

If he has to have a QB with the top 5 skills of a Warner, Rivers, or Roethlisberger, then he is in way over his head if he comes to TN. Locker is nowhere near that, and the chances of a rookie being there are slim. All 3 of these QBs had more potential in their right pinky than Locker has.

I do, however, understand that the GM has a big role in this as well.. but still, the head coach is responsible for his teams' on field play. That's the bottom line of it.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

A couple of things, in fairness
    1. Andy Reid at one time considered Kevin Kolb a franchise QB. And he had spent the previous few years with Kolb. Remember he unloaded Donovan McNab to make Kolb the starter
    2. As for washed up veterans. Every time a washed up veteran hits the FA market there are always plenty of people here wanting the Titans to sign him lol

9. Renfro95

Renfro95 Starter

So is everyone under the impression now that Whisenhunt is a Titan?

10. TitanBlazer

TitanBlazer Starter

No. I think he is a finalist and the Titans want him... but I think Detroit wants him too. It is up to him at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar