Haynesworth (trade rumors, etc.)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanup1982, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Who hasn't burned bridges when they left the organization? The Titans do themselves no favors this department.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I actually view it as a possibility that the Titans could trade for Haynesworth. I don't care what the Redskins or Haynesworth says later this week to try to clean this up. The Skins tried to move him to a divisional rival. They might as well have said, "Who wants him?". All Haynesworth has harped on since being in Washington is how great the system was that he played in in Tennessee. Haynesworth said some nasty things when he left, but chances are he misses playing in a system he knows he can be successful in. I have to believe that despite what he said when he left and how the Titans felt about what he said, both sides would be at least somewhat receptive if trade talks developed at all. Truth is, Haynesworth probably needs to play next to someone like Tony Brown to be as successful as he was.

As long as the Skins don't pursue recouping bonuses already paid to Haynesworth, the contract isn't bad going forward. The team would have to pay him $16.2 million over the next three years (unless he reaches certain incentives), after which the team can pay him a crap load of money to keep him, cut him, or renegotiate. $16.2 million for the next three years is a pretty good bargain.

The real question is, do we want him back? He got what he was after. He might just be an over-paid lump for us until 2012. I know most would respond with a resounding yes, but a team would have to think about his overall impact. He's not a high character guy. He doesn't respect his team or coaches, and he goes to the media anytime he has a problem with anyone. More and more, he's like Terrel Owens on defense, but add police problems. There's no doubt in my mind that the Titans would want him back on the D-Line. What I'm basically asking is with his potential to be productive again, would the headaches he brings with him be worth it?

There's also no doubt in my mind that the Jags are looking into this. We don't want that. Him being reunited with John Henderson could be scary.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Damn that is a scary thought!

Although I seem to be in the minority (once again on this forum) about AH, I still think he will be a productive player, I really don't want us to bring him back.

I like the fact we don't have the Pacman arrest problems and the AH anger management problems around here anymore. I like that our team seems classier and less thug.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Had to high-five you because we rarely agree on something. :ha:

Really though, I'd be on the fence. He could play well here again, in a good system next to another great DT. We could debate forever whether he would even have the passion to do so. I think as long as he's paid, he doesn't really care, but he would have a better chance to be successful here than Washington.

I do like it that our team quit making headlines for the wrong reasons.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If Jacksonville gets Haynesworth, we are so screwed. We can't stop Peyton and the Colts for anything, slowly but surely the Texans are catching up to us, and if Jacksonville had Henderson plus Haynesworth we are seriously done. The thought of those two DT's together would give me nightmares for weeks. Damn I hope to God they don't get him.

I want Haynesworth back!

6. UVATitan

UVATitan Camp Fodder

Rotoworld and ESPN have thrown out the same guess that he may be headed back:
    1) ESPN.com's John Clayton believes Albert Haynesworth could end up being traded back to the Titans.
    Haynesworth doesn't appear to be a favorite of new coach Mike Shanahan. The Titans were leery of overpaying to retain him last year, so we're not sure why they'd be willing to take on his bloated contract now. Clayton also suggested the Rams could be interested in an Adam Carriker/Haynesworth swap.

Furthermore I think he still has something in his tank and would love to come back (which I dont think any of us will be against). He clearly is unhappy in DC and underappreciated there and in the wrong system (3-4). Living in the DC area i know that he has flared up several times and is in constant arguments with the defensive coach and now with the new regime. Some of the other players are unhappy with him, and down the stretch he expressed his frustrations several times. One of the biggest reasons his #s were down were because it was a different system completely that he hated (he was supposed to drop back and react to plays rather than do what he does - create plays).

Regardless of that here are his numbers:
    his tackles are close to his 2nd to last season with us (which matches the total games played) and while he had less sacks he did get about even in deflections. Given the change in scheme (reacting as opposed to penetrating) this is not that hard to believe.
    Career Stats
    Tackles Sacks Interceptions Fumb. Misc. KO Ret Punt Ret
    Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack Yds Yd/Sk Int Yds IntTD Rec TD Frcd Pass Def Sfty Yds TD Yds TD
    2002 TEN 13 21 9 30 1 5 5.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0
    2003 TEN 11 21 10 31 2 14 7.0 0 0 0 2 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0
    2004 TEN 10 26 11 37 1 9 9.0 0 0 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 0 0 0
    2005 TEN 14 36 16 52 3 19 6.3 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
    2006 TEN 11 23 7 30 2 15 7.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0
    2007 TEN 13 32 8 40 6 34 5.7 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0
    2008 TEN 14 41 10 51 9 52 6.1 0 0 0 1 0 3 2 0 0 0 0 0
    2009 WAS 12 30 8 38 4 29 7.3 0 0 0 1 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 0

Also if it comes down to cost, he would still be expensive but there are deals where money gets traded as well (think back to the hockey and basketball where crazy salaries require this) so it could be possible that we do this. Someone threw out the concept of a trade, i think we may be able to give them our 3rd for it (they would probably want a 2nd but 1) we dont have it and 2) thats too expensive for a DT on his decline - even though with him we are only a piece away from the Superbowl making it more justifiable.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

We'd be crazy not to want him back. If we could swing a trade for him where Washington eats most of his bonus money then he's totally worth it. We all saw how much of a drop off there was without him.

I was never for giving him $100 Million, but I didn't want to see him walk either. I'm all for bringing him back.

8. AH3

AH3 Rookie

I'd like for us to get him, but I doubt we would be willing to give what they would want. If they would take a 3rd I'd be up for it in a heartbeat. We'd have to fix that contract though. We could also rotate Jason Jones in at DE and draft a CB, which would make us a very stout D in my opinion. All in all, I don't see it happening since the Redskins will probably overvalue him and Haynesworth won't be willing to work with his contract.

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

His contract is not that big of a deal now that Washington paid him his bonus recently. If Washington wanted to recoup that bonus from whichever team is talking trades, that would be a big deal.

10. AH3

AH3 Rookie

I read somewhere that paying him that $21M bonus essentially meant he was untradeable- that nobody in their right mind would pay the guy that much just to trade him away. That makes sense, but Snyder was also the one who signed him to the $100M contract in the first place, which is also crazy. So we never know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar