Hawkins Reminds Fisher of DMase

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Rookie WR Lavelle Hawkins makes Titans coach Jeff Fisher think about the team's most successful WR this past decade – Derrick Mason. Both players have similar builds and both were fourth-round picks by Tennessee. "I drew that analogy. Obviously, you’re comparing him to a great player and he’s got a ways to close that gap, but you can see some similarities," Fisher said. "He probably has some Mase tendencies from what you saw on film," said offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. "He’s got quick feet and real good hands. When we watched film, he could shake people and get open, a little bit like Mase in size and quick feet and all that stuff. We’ll see what he can handle."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Well good for Lavelle "Hawk" Hawkins getting compare to a player like DM, i really hope so cause we will need it this season. I also wish that Roydell finally explodes as he did last year along with 12 Gage, man is it july yet???

3. mellowyellow

mellowyellow Camp Fodder

Fisher is causing some excitement with these rookies.

4. TM

TM Starter

From what I've seen Hawkins has a chance to be an excellent NFL WR.

I think the Titans management is being a little defensive about this draft class because of the media criticism. They are putting out a lot of positive PR.

I think the hype for Hawkins can't be a good thing for Chris Davis.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Just by the way he can move, he reminds me of Mase too. But like Fish said, he's got a long ways to go to close that gap. I'm optimistic though.

6. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

its not just this yr..every yr every team talks up bout their picks...n again n again..we will hv to wait n c

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

It's official. Fisher is trying to recreate the exact same team from 2000. He has the same qb, same wr types, same offense, same DE, and same conservative approach.

I honestly hope that is not true. I hope that Dinger can influence the design here. And give us the best of both worlds. But you can't help but see the similarities and speech patterns. If he's trying to put together same team, then I have no respect for what he's trying to do. You have to shape your team around the talent in my opinion, not mold it into what you think it should be. We'll see how this plays out. He's been willing to open it up before. I respected that. But I hope he is willing to try it again because last year was a mess and last year was old school titans football. We won, but we need more to go the distance.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

isn't that what he's doing though?

we have a suffocating defense.

we have a so-so passing qb who can convert 3rd downs with his legs and a reasonably strong running game.

now we have given our QB a safety blanket in crumpler and possibly lavelle hawkins down the road.

one thing we have done differently is we've hopefully given vince a weapon we didn't have before in chris johnson.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Fisher has this 'stuck in the past' problem. He's the Phil Fulmer or Loyd Carr of the NFL. Needs to get some balls or get moving.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

problem with those comparisons is, with fisher it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar