Hats off to Tommy Smith and Ruston Webster

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

The "PAY THE MAN" approach has been going on for some years now, it's not a new thing. People say Titans are cheap, but look at the contracts given out.
    Levtire - top G FA - paid him
    Wembley - Pass rusher - paid him
    Walker - better TE than Cook - paid him
    Shonn Greene, Pollard, Pito etc.
    And the list goes on, with signing own players like CJ, McCourty, Roos, Stewart, Griffin etc.
    You can question whether or not it was the right player to that price, but you can't blame them for going after "their guy".

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I'm going to be more patient this time around...

I hated the Munchak hire from the get-go because he wasn't head coach material. It was just another one of our stupid hires from within.

I gave him a pretty short leash. I was actually pretty pleased, overall, in 2011... Then the dude loses to the 0-13 Colts and costs us the playoffs.

If Whisenhunt loses to 0-8 and 0-13 teams on the reg I will want him gone too, but I seriously doubt that garbage happens this time around.

It all boils down to finding a QB now. I don't think our FO and coaching staff is going to be stubborn when it comes to improving the QB position. Remember when the Peyton talks came about and our team is stupid enough to say "we're happy with Hasselbeck and Locker"... Pretty much summed up our belief that this team was content with mediocrity. Thank god Bud, even in his senility, realized we needed to make a play for Peyton.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

You mean the guy who had just had the best passing year since Steve McNair was here and our 10th overall pick? That's not being content with mediocrity; it's sticking to the plan you put in place. Also we failed to get Manning because he didn't like our OC not because we are content with mediocrity, and don't forget that the Peyton Manning chase caused us to miss out on Mario Williams, the top tier edge rusher we've needed to help turn our defense into a top unit.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

That is complete speculation. I bet it was a variety of factors. I assume the lack of talent in the Titans' roster is the main reason, IMO. He wanted to get another Super Bowl win, and the Broncos already had a solid roster. I bet if we had the Broncos coaching staff, and our set of WRs and defense, he still would not have come.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I was very critical of Smith early (and I remain skeptical he is qualified to perform his job at a high level), but I must admit I am pleased with how things turned out.

Might have to change my sig.

Come to think of it, I definitely have to change my avatar.

6. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Either way I doubt he left Nashville saying "Shucks. I'd love to play for the Titans but all they want to do is go 8-8 every year and luck into the 6th seed."

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

But I thought the front office was a bunch of clueless fools cause they didn't fire Munch within 15 minutes of the last game! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Who can read that brick of text?

Please use the enter button from time to time.

Not even being rude.

9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Really?
    Here's Denver's "solid roster" stats before Manning came along...
    Eric Decker 2010 - 106 yds 1 TD
    2011 - 612 yd 8TD

Demariyus Thomas - 2010 - 283 2 TD
    2011 - 551 yd 4TD

Orange Julius was an unknown

Wes Welker was a Patriot

Knowshon Moreno - 2010 - 779 yd 5TD
    2011 - 179 yd 0 TD

Let's not kid ourselves, the factor was John Elway.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

They were a playoff team with TIM TEBOW. you neglect to mention that they have a dominant defense.. and the Titans had a dominant nothing.

Yep, I'm sure Elway did have a big say in that. There were multiple factors, But the Broncos were definitely a team much closer to the Super Bowl than the Titans were, and still are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar