Has anyone noticed Tornadoes are becoming to common?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jessestylex, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

39 people died in 2005 from Tornadoes Jan-Nov

67 people died in 2006 from Tornadoes Jan-Dec

81 people died in 2007 from Tornadoes Jan -Dec

134 people died in 2008 so far from Tornadoes Jan-May

could be bigger has the storm from last night hit more states this morning.

At this rate home builders and the government will have to take action to help keep people safe in the Tornado valley.

2. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Problem with a tornado is hardly any warning at all in many times none. (My fathers home took a direct hit years ago, he had less than 30 second warning) While with hurricans you usually have days advance warning, I never understood why thousands of people stood in the face of Katrina when literally leaving and traveling only 50 miles or so would have made a huge difference in safety. It made no common sense at all.

3. maximus

maximus Starter

I don't know how old your are but the more technology that meterologists get, the more wind sheer (rotation in the atmosphere) that meterologists can spot.
    The radar from the 1980s is outdated compared to the radar today.
    It's also tornado season for the US. Right now, the cold air from the artic is coming down over the plains (and Midwest) and forming storms over much of OK, AR, TN, MS, TX, etc.

Avg # of tornadoes per year: 910

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/tornado1.html

4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

I don't think tornadoes are more common at all in these parts... about the same amount as usual if you ask me.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Mostly, it's media coverage that has increased on all of the natural disasters.

That's why the word natural is in there.

6. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Deaths from tornadoes increasing does not mean there are more, or more powerful tornadoes necessarily.

http://www.wunderground.com/tornadoFAQ.asp

7. jessestylex

the death toll means nothing?

it's increasing each year. to me that means more storms. could be the increase in population but i'd have to see studies on how old the homes are that get hit.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

No way..
    I've been thru several direct hits and a multitude of near hit/misses having lived 25+ years in South Florida. You can lose your life or home with either but with hurricanes there is so much extra crap you have to go thru in regards to preparation and recovery in such a wider range of area while with tornadoes you get hit or you don't. Not to mention the amount of tornadoes within some hurricanes..
    Have you ever gone thru the fun of a pre hurricane hit? It's a friggin nightmare even if you don't get hit.. Forget about going weeks without electricity etc. afterwards..

9. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

I didn't say that the death toll means nothing, so pay closer attention please.

What I said was pretty clear, that you can't prove there are more, or more powerful tornadoes by pointing to figures about the death rate.

The age of the homes that get hit don't have any relation to the storms being more frequent, numerous, or more powerful either.

Even if more tornadoes are detected these days, it does not prove that there are more tornadoes occurring these days.

10. jessestylex

DES MOINES, Iowa — Powerful storms packing large hail, heavy rain and tornadoes made for a deadly Memorial Day weekend across the nation's midsection, killing at least seven people in Iowa and a 2-year-old child in Minnesota.

The Toll keep rising. it's already topped the last 4 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar