Hall of Fame Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Aqutis30, Aug 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I thought the same thing… neither deserve the honor, as much as I love EG

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Id say they both should be in

3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

They both should be in...James led the league in yds twice though, neither have one a SB..sucks for James Indy won the year after he left

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Edge with Indy (his prime) was a superior the player of EG. Both sucked the latter half of their careers. IMO the HOF should be for extra special players that transcend their generation , not just good players in their generation. So edge to Edge but maybe neither should get in.

That is why Earl deserves to be in despite having a short career over a player that has a longer more blah career but puts up more overall stats. I'd put Chris Johnson in over EG.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

It’s subjective to consider but team impact should be.
    Edge had a couple better years than EG but also had PFM at QB with HoF WRs. EG had Stevie Mac who is just a wee bit less dominant than Manning (sarcasm of course) and mason really before he broke out as a WR.

bluntly, EG was the focal point for every defense. James was never really the focal point because Manning was.

all that said, EG has a SB visit and 2 AFCCG, James has 1 AFCCG.

neither of those numbers qualify for Hall.

as for CJ, can’t agree there either. Spectacular season and good career even if only brief. Definitely the focal point for any D but for about a 3-4 season stretch. Just don’t think he has the longevity of a career to say HoF. Also, no post season success.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Post season success for a RB is meaningless. Was the guy a stud? EG compared to Henry is like Pop Warner to the NFL. The only way EG gets 2000 yards is running the ball 500 times. That was my point, neither was transcendent (or really special for their generation). Edge gets the nod because he was an all purpose RB but neither were special. Amazing, a guy can come into the league averaging less than 4.0 YPC but get lucky enough to go to a SB and should get consideration for the HOF?

James had 1500+ yards and 62 catches his rookie year and basically replaced Marshall Faulk in their offense. Eddie George had little distinction except he got a bunch of carries behind a good OL when the offense didn't have much else.

7. HurrayTitans!

Agree edge was a better rec.

carries, avg, even yards etc, can also be directly attributed to how a D played the overall team. Impossible to compare Edge to EG without also considering Manning and McNair.

I also disagree on post season success playing a factor. Certainly not the be all, end all but clearly SB victories are used in the HoF selection. I’d have to thinking it’s not considered SB victor or bust.

I think in general, we’re in agreement that neither really belong. I’m just suggesting EG is the better candidate but the HoF committee clearly disagrees with me.

8. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

9. HurrayTitans!

That’s a really good article that puts a lot of the pros and cons together.
    TD and mawae think he should be in, Woodson says he should be in consideration (semantic way to not fully go all in), and we know how Ray Lewis feels. Those are the HoF mentioned in the article.

pros
    -easily a team leader on a highly competitive team.
    -7th highest Yds per season avg all time.
    -128 consecutive starts. Impressive for a RB even if a little cal Ripken-esque (starting while injured, probably shouldn’t be starting)
    -During his career, on Faulk and Curtis Martin rushed for more yds.
    -arguably the last “tough guy” RB with 300+ carries 8 straight seasons.
    -it actually hurts his chances that so many other HoF RB started their careers later in his career. Until 99/2000, he was among the top couple RB, then the entire league broke out with 10-15 dominant type backs.

cons
    -3.6 YPA
    -mentioned again, lack of SB games/victory
    -team. Titans don’t get the recognition a Steelers/cowboys get. I know that’s petty, but it’s true.
    -kind of short career. So many carries in so few seasons hurts his overall view.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I agree..I think he should be in..10000 yds, what he meant to his team, his longevity...his yds percarry were average but he was run into the ground and still showed up and was a leader...
    I won't forget him getting his shoulder popped back in and coming back out to stiff arm Lewis...classic Eddie.

Edgerton James has 0 SBs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar