Hakeem Nicks...A little tarnish...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Nicks showed up at his Pro Day FOURTEEN pounds heavier than at the recent combine. That's NOT good! Considering he didn't add 14lbs of muscle in a month, that will tarnish him a bit. He played at 210-215 at college. Even still, he is one of the most polished WR's in the draft and might have the best hands...

Gut

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He'll trim it in no time, so maybe he falls to us and we snatch him.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Sounds like the next Mike Williams. ;)

4. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

I like what I have seen out of the guy. If he fell to us in the 2nd I'd be ok with that.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

that would make my entire year

6. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

We might have to jump up a few spots to get him. We have picks to trade. I can't wait until draft day. We struck gold last year after I almost put my remote through the tv screen with our first two picks. God was I wrong. I semi trust these guys to make a good pick....

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

The added weight was largely due to pulling a hamstring at the Combine and not being able to work out much leading up to the pro day. Since I've seen him projected as high as 22 to the Vikes, I just can't believe he'd fall up to 40 spots to us at #62. Some team who can't afford to take Crabtree or Maclin high would jump on Nicks and probably Britt if we pass on them (which we could).

I'd love to have Nicks, though.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yeah...

Oh yeah, NO WAY he falls to the bottom of rnd 2! He'll be lucky (unlucky) to fall out of the first rnd and this weight thing is not a factor.

And I understand having an injury and not being able to work out...but adding 14lbs that quickly is more than not working out. That's being careless when he SHOULD be focused...working out or not. Everything he does can affect his draft positioning...even simple misperceptions. Look at Beanie Wells...the dude didn't like his 40 at the combine so he worked out even harder! All players should be doing that...and if you can't work out, you better not eat yourself into a baked potato before a Pro Day!

I do like Nicks' game though...especially for our offense. No way he makes it past the middle of rnd 2 at worst. Very strong possibility one of the teams from 20 on (vikes, giants, colts, titans, steelers) could take him in rnd 1.

Gut

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree wholeheartedly. I guess the one benefit of the doubt I was willing to extend was that weight fluctuation might be something he has to work harder to control than some. Otherwise, I would agree. There's no excuse.

Really, though...there is no excuse. We're willing to forgive it because we want to draft this guy. When I busted my ankle and had to be on crutches, rehab, the whole nine, I would just hit the deck, lay the bad foot across the good to keep the pressure off, and just crank out the pushups for an hour, hour and a half. Regardless. And that was in addition to the PT. So, no, there's really no reason not to find a way to get it done.

These guys are tough kids, but still kids with like mentality. And I'm not going to say he and his family don't have personal lives that are probably moving at the speed of light right now and that Nicks did neither deserve nor earn the right to enjoy some of that time, and eat momma's cooking or whatever, before going into his first NFL offseason.

Either way, shouldn't be a big deal. If teams asked him, "Why did you gain so much weight?" and he said, "Because I was hungry," then that would probably just have to do. I think everything else will speak for itself. Add a contract clause if they must.

10. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

Hopefully this means he falls to pick 30. If we sign Holt then I want a CB in the 1st, but if we don't then I want Hakeem Nicks. I think he's going to turn into a really good player in the league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar