Growth of QB's

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Ok, maybe the ratio I pulled out of my rear, but here's a list of QBs and the years I consider was their "breakout" year (when they played noticeably better, higher completion % and improved TD-INT ratio):

John Elway kind of year 3, but was up and down until year 11... which was the 1st year he broke 60% completions his TD-INT ratio jumped from hovering around 1:1 to 2.5:1
    Steve Young sucked in Tampa for 2 years, went to SF and did well as a backup in year 3, but didn't really get a shot until year 7 I'll call it year 3
    Troy Aikman year 3-4
    Randall Cunningham year 3
    Warren Moon year 5-6
    Dave Krieg year 4
    Sonny Jurgensen year 4
    Fran Tarkenton year 6-7
    Dan Fouts year 6-7
    Terry Bradshaw year 6
    Jim Everett year 3
    Ron Jaworski year 5-6

Almost all of them were either consistently just ok or very up and down from year to year... pretty much until years 3-6 when they all picked it up.

I think we're saying the same thing... I don't mean to say because VY is struggling, and many greats struggled, then VY will be great. I just said that with very few exceptions a QBs first 3-4 years tell you little about their future. Most of the guys on that list regressed and then progressed again early on. But I would bet that if you watched each of their early years you'd see glimpses of what they would eventually become. That's what I meant by keying on Vince's pocket presence - he had it last year... so much so that guys like Jaworski, Steve Young and Aikman were very impressed with it. He's lost it this year, though. I'm watching for him to regain his composure - he's starting to stick some nice throws in between his brain farts, but the comfort isn't there and the stats show it.

2. MDTitansFan

MDTitansFan Guest

In reality VY should be holding the clip board for McNair right now, and if we had mcNair, from his stuggles recently, we would now be letting young get in there and show what he could do. Hes 24 and thinking hes on top of th world, which in my opinion he should be but he needs to settle down and do what he does best, like his senior year at TX and that rose bowl game vs Mich. just have fun, he isnt have any fun right now. It seems like hes on a emotional roller coaster, i see him in pregame getting hyped and around the camera being goofy and being loose, but then once the game starts, his attitude goes down hill and his level of fun and relaxation is to the point of a david carr. which he isnt that. He needs to be himself.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

That's my biggest fear with Vince - the trend for QBs with great potential to break out and make a mark on the league is a 3-6 year learning curve, the 1st couple years spent on the sideline watching and learning. I don't think his struggles now will hurt his confidence down the road, but I just worry he's learning to get by more than learning to really be a threat. But I think the push to become a pocket passer comes straight from him - and he's determined to add that to his bag of tricks. That's a good sign, even if it's ugly right now.

4. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I agree that Vince is determined to become a more well rounded QB and not just viewed as "another Vick". It will take time, but with the rediscovery of our D we have a chance at winning big time now and then.

5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Here is a small list of QBs that looked bad their first few years in the league.

Terry Bradshaw
    Steve Young
    Vinney Testaverde
    Warren Moon
    Payton Manning
    Eli Manning
    John Elway
    Jim Plunkett
    Dan Fouts
    Joe Theismann
    Phil Simms
    Fran Tarkington

I could go on but I don't really need to, everyone of these guys were on the verge of complete failure before they were able to completely pull it together. Funny thing is the big turning point for Bradshaw was the 74 draft when they picked up Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If you really believe we are going to wait 6-8 years for Young to crack an 80 QB rating you are nuts. Thats how long it took Bradshaw and Simms. Maybe Young will develop into a fine passer when he is 32 years old. Think more recent history.

By the way, look up Peyton Manning's stats his second year before adding him to the list.

Look at McNabb's stats. He had a pitiful QB rating of 60 his first year but he only started 6 games. He started 16 games the next year and had a rating of 77. Those number make VY look like crap.

Tom Brady started 14 games his second year and hardly played at all his first. His QB rating was 86 basically his first year.

Ben Roethlisberger wasn't a super stud all world beater coming out of college like Young. Yet all he did was ring up 98 ratings his first two years and he was a starter almost from day one.

Carson Palmer only had a 77 rating his first year starting but he toped 100 in his second year as a starter.

Let me just fill some of you homers in on the fact VY was the #3 pick in the entire draft, not some guy drafted in the second day we are trying to develop. Right now he is playing like Tarvaris Jackson except because of injury Jackson only has 5 ints to go with his 2 TDs. If someone who was a Viking fan was trying to feed you some BS about how in a few years Jackson will be a stud QB, he just needs time to develop you would laugh the guy out of this forum.

7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Lots of hostility there bud, chill. Most of "homers" are just saying don't compare Vince to people who had much better toys to play with. All the qb's you mentioned had wr's and te's that were/are way, way better. The worst of the bunch would have been brady's and they were far better, heck we have one of them on IR now in givens. At least admit that he is trying to become a better all around QB. His completion % is up 10%, as far as qb rating, I don't understand the ratio it seems a bit outdated, my understanding is that it was contrived back in the 50's. QB play has changed I would say a great deal since that time.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Who were McNabb's receivers? This team is never going to have great receivers, but it doesn't matter if they did. When these guys actually do get open, vince misses them by a mile. Plus, he only think someone is open when they're standing still facing him.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gloat, mcnabb has had good a first rate group of Wrs once in his career in 04.. Unless you want to make the argument that james thrash and todd pinkston were elite mcnabb didn't have anymore to work with than vince has now..

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Little..TT

Pointing out the obvious isn't bashing vince young it is bashing a stupid moronic point. To just compare 2 players int stats with no regard to how many Tds they throw for is STUPID!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar