Griffin vs. Nelson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanceB724

LanceB724 Camp Fodder

I'm sorry but i think it's ridiculous to even compare griffin to ed reed. Ed Reed is the best safety in the league, griffin hasn't done anything to be compared to reed. Reed was by far the best safety in college when he was at miami, griffin...not quite. Stop drinkin that homer-ade everyone. This draft sucked, and griffin while he might end up being good is def no ed reed.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i dont think anyone is comparing the two, as far as talent goes, just their playing styles.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

First off, Taylor is a beast cause he's like 220lbs and can fly. Nelson and Griffin are pretty much the same size but Nelson is the faster player (4.36 at his pro day). Nelson is also the better cover S...like Taylor was in college.

Archuletta doesn't compare to either of these guys.

Nelson is the pass D version of Brian Dawkins (but not nearly as good in the box...his weakness).

Griffin is kind of a poor man's Michael Huff...versatile and a very good athlete for his size (and the secondary), but he's not married to any position and we'll need to find where he fits best. If he can play CB well, I'd be thrilled...as long as LT doesn't start at S!!!

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Agreed...

Nelson tries to knock everyone out and it works very well for him in the secondary where the WR is fixed on the ball and Nelson can blind side him. He's been surprisingly effective at taking down even excellent college RB's diving for them ('ankle biter') but he'll have to learn to wrap up better in the Pros.

Griffin is a much more solid tackler but Griffin also occasionally tries to knock you out and blows the tackle. Griffin usually wraps though but he doesn't hit with as much pop as Nelson in the secondary...he hits better vs RB's.

Gut

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

The poor angles I was talking about was vs the run...not the pass. I think Griffin is pretty good against the pass though I'd like to see him develop his instincts a little better. Perhaps that is a negative of playing all of the secondary positions and if he moves to one position (like FS), then maybe he'll react a tad faster and put more of his athleticism to better use.

I think he'll play FS for us (in the sense that he'll play the deep middle like LT did last year with Hope being the predominant in the box S). I'd like to see him at CB though if Lowry or Fuller can handle FS.

Thanks for your input!

Gut

6. he was talking about he would be out of position against the pass

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

After the season, there was a debate about who should be taken first - Nelson or Landry. Nuff said.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

mayeb we were wong? :shocked:

griffin rated as the number two safety.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/s.html

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Griffin will be better. Better size, more durable, can play special teams, big hits, and also has better knowledge of the game.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The majority of the league didn't have Griffin as the #2 S. A few did. We can suppose the Titans were a part of that minority.

Plus, I guess Scott Wright didn't go to Reggie Nelson's pro-day where he was clocked between a 4.31-4.37 40 (depending on who's stopwatch you went by).

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar