Gray's defensive scheme

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't get it. Gray comes in and, supposedly, simplifies the defensive scheme so that the players are playing instinctively and not having to spend all their time thinking about assignments. He says the DL is going to get bigger. He talked about showing a 3-4 and finding someone who can give him some flexibility there.

So we get bigger and find that doesn't work so go smaller. I didn't see any 3-4 looks yesterday. For a team who is supposedly not having a lot of assignment responsibilities, they were out of position far too often.

What concerns me most is that I saw a defense more concerned about not losing instead of winning.

I respect Brady but the CBs were playing way off to avoid the big play. And moving Griff to SS was proven to be a bad idea. If the Titans wanted to have Johnson on the field at FS so bad, they never should have paid Griff just to move him to SS. Go out and use the money to get a SS.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Gray's defense isn't a huge issue. Replace Klug with anyone and get Casey healthy. Then just wrap up.

3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Playing so soft on the corners and at safety let them play pitch and catch up and down the field...but that is nothing new. Finnegan was the only one to get up in someone's face and try to force them out of rhythm....now we just play the "nothing over my head" approach to corner and safety.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. MFister

MFister Rookie

Griffin sucks at SS and Johnson sucks at FS. So what are we doing there??

5. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Watching Finnegan return that INT for a td yesterday made me sick!!! I miss the fire he brought to the defense. Only other player sort of like him is McCarthy!

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I like our chances with Verner and J-Mac enough maintain that defense. those 2 break on balls and make plays.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's not much different from how they used to play Manning. Only give them the short stuff, make the tackle and make them drive the field. It didn't work well then and didn't yesterday. If you don't disrupt timing, you are only going to die by 1,000 cuts. It's like being in a Prevent-lite defense the entire game.

Rivers will have a field day next Sunday.

• High Five High Five x 4
  8. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Im hoping yesterday was just a bad day for our defense, and offensive line and running back! Hopefully things will improve next week.

9. Joe Blaque

Joe Blaque Starter

There were a few drives, especially in the second quarter, where the defense attacked and played like they wanted to win. But by the time the second half came started they played the rest of the game in soft coverages, while letting Ridley gash them up the middle. The middle of this defense is disgusting.

10. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Itll get better. We were down Marks and McCarthy went down as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar