Gray: Johnson, Babineaux not competing for spot

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Over the last few weeks, Robert Johnson and Jordan Babineaux have alternated at safety opposite Michael Griffin.

But asked to evaluate what appeared to be a competition between the two, Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray gave an interesting response on Monday.

“The good thing is (Babineaux and Johnson) play different positions so that doesn’t matter,” Gray said. “We’re going to have a lot of different guys in there. Babineaux is going to start, Griffin is going to start and so is RoJo, so we’ve got some guys that are going to start (at different times). It just depends what package we’re going to put out there on the football field during the regular season.”

Johnson made his second straight start last Thursday and made one big mistake, allowing Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald to get behind him for a 53-yard completion. But Gray said he liked the way Johnson responded following the play.

“I think the first thing is that he came over and owned up to it,” Gray said. “A lot of guys would (say), `Well I … .’ He said, ` I screwed up,’ and that’s the first sign of a guy growing. He made a mistake. Now can you go out and play against another team and not make the same mistake?

“No one is going to play perfect, but can you not make the same mistake that got you beat on a 53-yard pass? It shouldn’t have happened, but sometimes when you put young guys out there, that’s the risk you take. But those are things you learn from and you grow and you keep going.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. Code

Code Starter

Pretty interesting. Titans are asking a lot of Griffin to swing between the two positions to allow RoJo or Babs on the field depending upon match ups. Sounds like Babs will get running downs while RoJo plays in passing situations.

3. Architect

Architect Pain Train

This seems weird. One thing thats important with secondary is continuity. Knowing what other guys will do in your unit in certain situations. Similar to the OLine. Seems like this would be difficult with interchanging pieces

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I really can't wait to see Jerry Gray's defense, I have no problem with rotating the safeties in and out for different situations. We're going to see a lot of different looks this season.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Griff is the only one changing positions so it might not be too bad. Sometimes we make this too much like rocket science. The bottom line is that everyone knows what to do and does it. The other guys can't assume someone is going to out of place. You assume everyone knows where they should be. Each guy needs to focus on their own responsibility. I'd be more concerned RoJo doesn't do his job like letting Fitz behind the defense. Continuity isn't going to help that.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This is a storyline that I don't think we are paying enough attention to. Rotating in all three safeties throughout the season depending on the situation and the opponent could be pretty interesting.

7. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Jerry Gray is going to be a head coach in this league, and soon. I'm beginning to hope that it is here, and not somewhere else. Not bashing Munch at all, but I like this guy's creativity.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

It won't surprise me at all to see us go with a 3 safety package against the Pats. Babs will replace Witherspoon and give us a better coverage guy against their TE sets. We will give up a little against the run, but improve our pass defense. We will have Griffin and RoJo covering the deep halves of the field.

I think we will try to hit Brady early taking a few chances with some blitzes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar