Grade Fisher and Reese...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rcarie, Jan 16, 2006.

?
  1. A

8.8%
  2. B

5.9%
  3. C

35.3%
  4. D

35.3%
  5. F

11.8%
  6. Pack it in and fire his ars!!

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

On the poll, I voted a C.

Coach Fisher I would give a B for the season. And for GM Reese I would give him a C.

I give them these grades with some consideration, I think overall Coach Fisher did a good job with what he had. We didn't have that much. Most of the problems with the team in my opinion were due our team's having inferior talent. No shocker there, we were salary shot. It happens to good teams at the end.

Overall I am optimistic about the future, and I sure hope the team is better next season. I don't know how much more of this my poor Mom can take.
    :coltssuk:

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A C grade? You guys have to be nuts!

Nobody deserves an average or higher grade when the team was 4-12. How can you possibly justify that? I know some will give fisher a slightly higher grade than reese because they see the root of our problems being the loss of talent due to the salary cap. But to give fisher a C grade suggests that he won all the games he could with what he had and that is bullcrap!

This team had absolutely no fire, emotion or discipline. We had long time veterans on this team making more mistakes than our youngest players. We were loaded with veteran starters(15 of them, 16 counting hentrich) who just did not give a damn! I sincerely believe we could have grabbed someone from the stands to act as head coach for those 16 games and they could have won 4 games. Who the hell did we beat? Texans twice and the 49ers. Hell even titan jeff and starkiller could have won 4 games with that team. I think kami would have won 6!

Any complaints about how this defense was run should go right to jeff fisher. He's the one who hired and keeps schwartz and he has all the opportunity to help with that defense. Fisher isn't powerless here, if he doesn't like the game plan he can change it. The buck stops with him!

As for reese it is one thing to say we have 29 1st or 2nd rd players on the roster it's another thing to say they are good players. I doubt if more than 16 will make our team in 2006 and many won't be in the league 2 years from now. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year but there are many areas of the team that are still lacking. We have no good young linebackers, no QB of the future. Major questions at RB and safety and issues with the future of the offensive line. We may actually have more 1st and 2nd year starters next year than we had in 2005.

I can't give either of them anything above a D and with a 4-12 record i think an F is in order.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I have to agree with RollTide...

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mad about mcnair? I guess not!

How in the hell does jeff fisher get a B grade? If the talent was so "inferior" then surely reese would deserve an f right? You make no sense. Based on your grades i would assume the titans were an 8-8 team not a 4-12 team.

Jim haslett's saints won 2 more games than the titans over the last 2 seasons and he was fired. With aaron brooks at QB and without his star RB he won 3 games this year dispite horrible distractions like nothing an nfl team has ever faced. Jeff fisher lead the titans to just one more victory and he had none of those distrations and a far better QB. The saints obviously think that haslett's performance was below par but fisher with far less trying circumstances wins one more game and gets a B grade?

Quick how many winning seasons has jeff fisher coached? He has been this teams coach for 11 full seasons. So how many 8? 9? Try 4. 4 out of 11! Hardly lombardi like. Quick how many losing seasons has he had? Again 4! In 11 years fisher has 4 winning seasons, 4 losing seasons and 3 8-8 seasons. Yet despite this track record of mediocrity fisher is still looked at as some guru. Whenb the team wins it is due to his great coaching but when we suck(2 years in a row) it's never his fault. Sure!

Tell me this, how many games would the titans have won with a so called inferior coach like a haslett? 4? If the titans only had 4-12 talent that would mean that fisher didn't do a damn thing above and beyond what he had and hardly deserving of a B grade.

You are also aware that of the 16 veteran starters we had the games missed due to injury combined was only 10. 10 games combined! Yet fisher couldn't keep that team together. Bullcrap!

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I do agree with the notion that our talent level was down but I also feel like Fisher didn't get as much as he could've out of our guys. People can blame the DC (note:this isn't a Schwartz thread) and the OC but the fact is, the whole damn team stunk it up all year. When it becomes a problem across the board there's only one direction that you can look and that's the head coach.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

gee OldTide, we had a good run from 1999 - 2003 with dominate players and a lot of veterens. The cost of such a good run is Salary Cap purges everyone goes through it.
    Your not going to have good players when you release half a team - including 4 pro bowlers or pro bowl calibre players - as well as having 3 return from serious knee injuries.
    And your not going to be a good team.

Continue thinking it is all on the coaches but no one can win with the talent level we have and you're wrong to think otherwise.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sure gunny...

Think that fisher is a great coach but if the talent was so poor then you would give a failing grade to reese right? I suspect you are one of the two knot heads who gave the pair an A grade.

All i know is that this team is 9-23 over the last 2 seasons. If you think it's because the stars are aligned against us you are less informed than i would have thought. Of course maybe losing 72% of your games is considered good in australia.

4 pro bowlers? fred miller is a pro bowl players now? And wasn't carter getting a bit old? And didn't we replace carter with a better player, KVB?

You talk about veterans gunny? The 1999 team had 2 rookies on the defensive line and a second year man(rolle) at corner. This titans team had 15 veteran starters, an 11th year starting QB and a 6th year backup QB. We had a backup runningback in his 5th season. We talk about talent? We had a 1000 yard WR and 2 1000 yard runningbacks one who had been to 2 pro bowls. Our QB had just won the mvp in 2003. 80% of our starting offensive line blocked well enough to get steve that mvp and to get chris brown the highest average per carry just a year ago. But there is no talent on this team? We had two TEs had enough talent to catch 55 balls.

What you fail to see gunny is not that the titans were not a good team it's that we were not even a below average team. Maybe you don't see any difference beteen an 8-8 team or a 4-12 team but i sure do. This team had enough talent to win 6-7 games but they didn't because so many veterans didn't give a damn.

Another coaching failure? Why didn't our 2nd year players improve hardly at all? Odom, starks, schobel, gardner, waddell. All were no better than as rookies. Was that also due to great coaching?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny and the misleading stats on fisher..

Yeah we were great from 99-2003 but what about before 99 or after 2003? They don't count?

Fisher was fortunate to get the head job with the oilers. He coached the last 6 games of 1994 and hardly lit a fire under anyone winning just one of those 6 games. He followed that with a 7-9 season and 3 straight 8-8 seasons. We know the results of the last 2 seasons.

How many people know that the only team with a worse record than the titans the last 2 years is the 49ers? The texans have won as many games as we have and crap teams like detroit, new orleans and oakland have won more.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"How many people know that the only team with a worse record than the titans the last 2 years is the 49ers? The texans have won as many games as we have and crap teams like detroit, new orleans and oakland have won more."

all of those teams could field an entire 53 man roster for both of those years. we can't say that.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I find it funny that you mention the situation in New Orleans but fail to mention the situation that Fisher had to endure when he got here. You also fail to mention that the NFC sucks horribly compared to the AFC. You also fail to mention that New Orleans never had a good stretch of playoff runs that they had to purge themselves of. You also fail to mention that Fisher has built a winner out of a very bad team before while Haslett has never done anything like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar