Gotta be good on one side of the ball...so which side should the Titans address

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Once again if you look at the playoff bound teams the one thing in common that almost all of them have is that they are either top ten on offense or defense.

Mediocrity gets you nowhere....and sucking bad on both sides of the ball gets you the 1st or 2nd pick.

Also if you look at the QBs of the playoff teams Brady, Romo, and Wilson are the only non-1st rnders.

So I think the Titans should try and become top 10 on one side of the ball or the other. Focus your draft and FA to make it happen.

I honestly don't know which one to focus on because they are both so far from being good.

IMO the Texans really screwed up last year by drafting Clowney over a QB. It is really hard to be a consistently good team without a solid QB. At some point you have to take a chance on finding your franchise guy.

So which side of the ball do you focus on???

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Special teams

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Troll Troll x 2
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Ideally, you wanna be a well rounded team. But ultimately you gotta be able to score points in this league. The way the league is set up these days, it's tough to rely on your defense to carry you week in and week out. Obviously you wanna be good on both sides of the ball. But I think I'd rather be great on offense and poor/mediocre on defense than the reverse.

Unfortunately for us, it seems we are very far off from being great on either side. At this point I'll settle for just not getting embarrassed every Sunday.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

It is certainly a scoring league, but look how the Seahawks won their SB last year. It wasn't with a "Stellar" offense. A great defense can make an average offense look great. That being said, we are SO terrible on Offense, I think they need to add some weapons/needs.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Offense has held this team back for YEARS!

I think with a half capable offense and a pass rusher our defense could be solid next year. Blidi Wreh-Wilson will also have to develop, the ball skills and speed is there, kid just needs to stop having brain farts every few downs and he might become somebody.

But we need to be able to sustain drives on offense so our defense isn't playing 3 hours of football on Sundays.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Still need to give Wooten a chance.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Build the defense. Our defense hurt the offense because it could not get off the field this year or stop the run. The defense got gassed and the offense could never get into a rhythm. We have been able to get pressure however. I saw somewhere this week we are 7th in the league in sacks. We are just terrible against the run. If we get someone who can consistently get pressure on the QB and stop the run that will go a long way. That way we won't have to blitz so much and can have more men in coverage. I say take Randy Gregory at #2. McShay said this week, something I've been saying for a while, Gregory is Kearse 2.0. Remember what an impact Kearse made on the Titans his first season? I'll take that all day long.

As for the offense, sign someone like Bulaga (who is only 25) or Iupati, or both, to fix the line and that goes a LONG way to fixing our struggles. Then draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round to compete with Mett. I personally like Bryce Petty or Kevin Hogan.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Whiz is an offensive-minded coach so, with all things equal, I think they'll go offense.

Also, which other teams in the AFC South have powerful offenses? Houston has a running game. Indy has a passing game. A mediocre defense can win the AFC South for years to come. Though that doesn't win the Super Bowl, it gets you in playoffs as the Titans get the defense better.

And the entertainment factor comes in here as well. Big offense puts butts back in the stadium. Big defense won't.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We have a few young DB's who should get a chance to compete for a starting spot, Wreh-Wilson is too inconstant to have locked that spot up heading into 2015.

What Id really love is to get us someone to replace McCourty with and let him have the 2nd CB job. McCourty is the ideal second CB to have. Sadly we allow him to be our #1. Not good enough ball skills to have that job for all these years.

• High Five High Five x 4
    • WTF?! WTF?! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar