goTitans.com Draft Preview

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by goTitans.com, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With the 2008 NFL Draft less than a month away, I wanted take a look at the Titans according to the positions I feel they need to address in order of importance and who they may take with pick #24.

Wide Receiver
    Here, we have the chicken and egg argument in full effect. Was the reason the Titans passing game was so ineffective last season due to Vince Young, inferior receivers or a poor offensive scheme?

My answer is "D: All the above".

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Nice article. I think Deshaun will be the pick, (if he's there)....he's really the only WR i'd want to take with the 24th pick. I think that if he's gone, and some other good recievers are on the board, we should take Quentin Groves...he'll be able to contribute immediately at DE. Plus, the guy is amazing at defending the run.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The Titans filled one spot. TE. That's it. Replacement Guard, replacement DE, and that's all we've got to show for FA. No big re-signings yet either.

Sadly, "decent" is to kind of a description.

If we draft a LB in the first round I'll vomit. Are we in perpetual rebuilding?

I still wish there would be some effort to move up in the draft. I think it could be done by trading a combination of late round picks and some marginal players on our roster for another early draft pick (first two rounds).

I'd be much happier if all we had was a first round pick and two second round picks than the draft picks we have now. This team needs playmakers, not more depth with marginal adequate late rounders. We can sign more FA scrubs for that.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What I mean by "decent" is they've filled some holes which means it takes a lot of the pressure off drafting for need as they did with DE and WR in the past.

In many cases, they've upgraded over who they lost so far. Here's my quick summary on whether the replacement is an upgrade or not.

Odom > (draft pick)
    LaBoy = Kearse
    Troupe < Crumpler (HUGE)
    Starks < (Johnson or draft pick)
    Hartsock > Blakley
    Gardner < Stamer
    Herndon < Carr
    Bell > (Amano, Harris, Loper)
    Brown = (draft pick, FA)
    Olson = Scott
    Moulds < JMac

Some are very debatable but I don't see a glaring hole except at DE. I would not be surprised if the Titans think Fisher/Kearse or Brown/Kearse will not be much of a dropoff from Odom/LaBoy. And I think Harris or Amano could upgrade Bell in the run game.

5. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

No if we get a Wideout on the first round i will be the one vomiting all over!!! We should go with the super fast East Carolina Chris Johnson, he can return kicks and also can be a feature RB and can catch the ball from the back field as well, then we can go wide out in the second round. Hopefully James Hardy may still be there if we get lucky 6'6" or 6'5" bout 225, now that's a target for Vy and company to hit..:yes: GO TITANS!!

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, the more i think about it, that seems to make the most sense.

i don't know if his lack of size scares me or not. marvin harrison is probably his size, but at the same time marvin falls down immediately after he catches the ball so he doesn't get hit. that drives me insane!

7. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

I know that is why i can't stand those colts dude, the same thing with Reggie Wayne catch and duck!!!!!

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That would be another terrible draft pick. So use our first rounder on someone who would only see the field on kick returns?

I ask again, are we in a perpetual state of rebuilding?

Why draft a RB first round, when we have a proven starter in LW. He did fine last season, weight issues or not. Why draft a RB first round, when we have a backup that needs playing time to see if he is any good or not? Why give up on Chris Henry now after one season?

We don't need a third RB as bad as we need a starting DL and WR. Even CB and OL are more important. Hell, I'd be happier with the LB.

Ok, unless McFadden were there at 24, then we have to draft him regardless. But the chances of that are nil so I think its pointless to discuss.

9. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Hey man, I've been preachin' Desean Jackson the whole time. Great write up Jeff. You forgot:

Nobody< Jmac

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right. Edit made. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar