Got a New Plasma Yesterday

Discussion in 'Gear' started by GLinks, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

So our main TV has been on the fritz for about two weeks now. It was power failing frequently. At first, maybe once or twice a day. Then every few hours. Finally, it would go down every few minutes and come back on for less and less time. We have a 36" Hitachi HDTV that works (old school, but gorgeous CRT picture still after almost seven years.)

The TV that blew is a 55" Sony LCD Projection (KDF55SX955, right before the SXRD/Bravia 1 started).

I knew that now is one of the times of the year that TVs go clearance to make way for newer models. I know the big push is LCD, 120Hz, 1080p. Until about the last year or so, I had kept very up to date on this stuff. My penultimate role (the one before my last one) at work depending on this knowledge to a degree. It was useful conversationally, plus I like tech. But knowing about a bunch of stuff you have no intention of buying is pretty worthless, even by my standards.

As luck would have it, my wife and I got a phenomenal deal on a TV because we were willing to buck the trends (it's a 720p set, but we were coming from that), and know some good people.

I don't know where you stand on plasma, lcd and the rest, or brand preference, but I bought a TV I thought was a little beyond my reach. Blah blah blah, enough preface.

Pioneer Elite Pro1150HD, 50 inch plasma from the new Kuro line. Supposedly the best black level available on a TV. I don't even have it calibrated properly yet, and I have to agree.

Debut price: $4500, June 07
    Price paid: $1200. Mar 09

My rationale was that we sit approximately 10 feet back from the TV anyway. 1080p in my view benefits you most if you live in an apartment, can't sit back more than 6-8 feet, and on a lesser set would see pixels or screen-door effect. Plus (I was a fool who got HD-DVD, but got the player for free, so whatev) I know HD movies on the Sony were gorgeous until recently, so our upgrade to Blu-Ray should be even better.

2. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

that is a beautiful tv. and you got it for a super steal. good job buddy. i am looking at buying another plasma. i have a 58 in panasonic in my living room that i love. but i am thinking about another plasma...42" for the bedroom. anyways...great purchase!!!

:thumb::woohoo::cool2:

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I bought the TV at a Best Buy. It was the last one in the store, new in the box. I went out in the afternoon bought it, then kicked myself for not bringing the SUV. So anyway, no, I couldn't wait for delivery. I'm a dude. Brought it home and had it set up in about 10 minutes.

Here's one review I found: http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Pioneer_PRO-1150HD_Plasma_HDTV_Review.htm There's a video you can click on.

Also, some user debates: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7596_102-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=288337&messageID=2732523

Best Buy has the 1080p version for around $2299, I believe, right now.

Plus I did some reading on AVSforums.com.

Few quick details:

4 HDMI inputs
    PC Monitor Input
    Home Network Connectivity
    Light sensitivity adjustment
    Home Media Gallery (movies, pics from PC)

Anyway. Sorry to ramble. This is an amazing TV, and I'm just happy to have it. I may try to hook the PC up to it for giggles.

If anyone is looking for a new plasma, I would go hunting for this TV immediately. Specifically, it comes from Magnolia, which inside most Best Buy's nowadays, I believe. Also there's some standalones if you live elsewhere in the country.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thanks, dude. And I know just what TV you have. That is a gorgeous set. Panasonic has killed it with their last two 58"s I thought. I hooked up my brother with a 50" Panasonic plasma 6 months ago maybe. 1080p for $1100. That was from Circuit City. (Those liquidators just wouldn't let TVs go for a "steal." They started out above the sales prices and slowly came down, and I didn't need anything then. I was thinking about adding one to the formal LR, or maybe the BR.)

My wife took the day off, and it's spring break for the kids. We're going to log some hours for sure today. Watched the end of FF2 this morning. ET's on now, both in HD. Caught the new Simpsons episode last night and was mesmerized, just like the first time!

5. GMITTS

yeah, that circuit city liquidation was a bunch of bs. when i worked at best buy we got amazing deals. i bought my 58" for around 1449 after all discounts had been applied. it was nuts. and i sure do miss that discount now.
    when i hooked my computer up to my tv i didnt like the way it looked. granted my computer doesnt have hdmi out, so the picture was kinda fuzzy. however, the new laptop i am buying does have hdmi out. that should be fun. can you imagine minesweeper on a 58" plasma??? in hd...oohhh boy...

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

1080 is overrated anyways. So much HD content on satellite and cable is still 720. You can future proof in the future. Great buy btw.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

720p is better than 1080i. 1080p is the 'best' but like BIP said unless you have a blu-ray player, you won't get full HD yet.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thanks BIP.

I like that. "Future proof in the future."

Speaking of, my CE travels the last couple of days have brought me in front of the new Samsung LCD 55". That sucker is 1.5" deep. Period. I'm amazed, and our plasma is 3.5", and our Sony was probably 15-16". You can tell that this will be one popular TV eventually ($3700 now, though).

One of the HHGregg's in town has it right when you walk in the door. I thought that was a bad idea on St. Patrick's Day since there is an Irish Pub in Turkey Creek who had a bar set up outdoors 25 yards away from the entrance.

9. GMITTS

[​IMG]

this is the tv i want to buy. 150" it would seem as though KVB is going to break into my living room when watching football!!!

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yeah. I got one yesterday, and it was what I expected, mainly because I have the HD-DVD on the 360. But I'm thinking of holding off for a while.

We were watching Transporter 3 last night and the aspect was widescreen of course. Well, manual aside, Pioneer provides a 2-page booklet to read first about what NOT to do to the screen, especially early in the plasma life. One is black bars, either on the side, or top and bottom. When you try to fill the screen (two completely filled it), only one mode is watchable, and it's still distorted. Enough so that I'm going to hold off on BR until we log many more hours on this TV so I don't have to worry about it. Not going to pay $15-30 for a movie that I can't immediately watch in the aspect ratio of my choice.

Read my lips.

Na...ga....ha.

(Not going to happen for those who forgot that already, or never knew...George Bush, or Dana Carvey as George Bush, take your pick. Gash, why do I even have to explain?)

Anyway, disappointing, but I'll wait until summer, or the holidays. I'm patient like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar