Goodell: The worst man in America

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

So many ridiculous opinions in this thread. Capitalism is one of the most American things there is, yet Goodell is somehow anti-American for trying to grow his business and increase revenues by opening up new markets?

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Not sure why people are ok with Mexico, considering it's a war zone minus tanks. If I were a player, given the choice, I'd go to Europe before I'd go to Mexico.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Finnegan2win

When those new markets are not American, how is he NOT being anti American?

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

The NFL is a business but it is also a very unique business. Why does he need to take an American sport and play those games off our soil? They tried NFL Europe and it failed plain and simple. There is a logistical nightmare of travel for a team in London as well. He should be trying to fix the problems here in America before moving a team over there. We still have teams getting blacked out on TV which I think is a ridiculous rule for punishing home crowd fans for not going to the game! This guy needs to go!

5. TorontoTitanFan

The NFL is a business and he's making the most logical move to grow the business (which is his job, by the way). Globalization and growth go hand-in-hand.

And it will be probably be proven to be a smart move. All the clowns in this thread saying they wouldn't watch a Super Bowl held in London will absolutely watch a Super Bowl held anywhere on earth.

There are clearly huge issues with putting a team in London. I am not arguing it will be good for American fans. But it will be good for the bottom line, which is all Goodell is paid to care about.

6. Finnegan2win

Currently there's 32 American cities with NFL teams.

You're telling me not one of the tens of thousands remaining are capable of supporting a team?

Also, MORE teams will just dilute the playoffs, all around bad idea. Let's just make it like the MLB and have seven hundred games with 90 teams.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TorontoTitanFan

Who is telling you that? I don't think anyone is saying that.

But my point is that the NFL doesn't make money from local fans. Adding an American city to the NFL does almost nothing for the bottom line. The league makes money via TV contracts. Expanding the sport into England and eventually Europe and then Asia opens up literally billions of dollars worth of revenue opportunities.

Get used to it, people. Goodell has a mandate to grow revenues and he's going about it the way any shrewd businessman would. Gotta go global.

8. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

This league makes more money than all of the other major sports here in America, how is expanding across the pond a necessity? San Fran played their last week when it was 1pm eastern, 7 pm london time and 10 am Pacific time! Those time changes are ridiculous and you can't expect players to get used to that. Good luck getting FA's to sign over there too!

9. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

i think the problem with expanding in the US is that most people already have an allegiacne to an NFL team.

Growing a fan base (a solid one anyway) is far more difficult within the borders of the US of A

10. TorontoTitanFan

... because no good businessman ever says "we're making enough money, let's not bother trying to make more."

Did you really need me to tell you that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar