Gooddell furthers his destruction of the NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Finnegan2win, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

That's not really what I took from it. The rest of the world sees a game that is constantly interrupted with penalties, commercials, challenges and timeouts. When those things aren't impeding the game it's just a four second sprint then 20 seconds of rest.

My girlfriend played soccer in high school and makes this EXACT argument every year. It's an unreasonable stance that people who hate American football will never change. Unfortunately for the NFL, it's also a stance that has become a part of European culture that is generations deep.

"They fit it in around commercials."

2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

And, that's the point. Baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer are all popular on several continents. None of these sports attempt to have a single league that encompasses the globe. Heck, soccer is the most popular sport in the world. If any sport could do it, soccer could. Yet, instead of one gigantic Major League Soccer (or Futbol) League, there are several wildly successful leagues that focus on specific regions.

The NFL doesn't have the global infrastructure to pull this kind of thing off.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

and the strategy

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

That's honestly very true. It makes it sometimes really boring to watch live, and the intermission schlock they put out has to be really entertaining to keep interest. And the Titans' stuff is not entertaining. If it's not a close game, it's just brutal to watch sometimes.

It is the consummate American sport. Driven by commercials and money. I swear there's a lot more time on commercials than on actual playing time.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It is true, but we love it. They hate it. We put up with the interruptions because we love the game itself. That's really all there is too.

I've said a million times there's no reason for a 60 minute game to last three hours and 15 minutes. It'll never happen because the NFL has found a way to monopolize Sundays. Game one starts at 1PM EST. Game two starts at 4:15 PM EST. Game three starts in prime time.

Put sponsors on the jerseys.

Replace the useless first and ten maker ON THE FIELD(since there is one right next to the score) and put a little ad there.
    [​IMG]

Put beer ads in the endzone instead of team logos. I already know who's playing.

Boom, less commercials. Or, knowing the NFL, the same amount of commercials with more on-field advertisement.

7. Tuckfro42

Really? You think the NFL has less room to grow in the US than MLB and the NBA?

I'm guessing you are pretty young. 20 years ago MLB was the NFL. The NBA was bigger than the NFL then, too. So, what changed? I can't prove it, but among other things I believe the shift in focus to foreign markets for MLB and NBA has inadvertently cost each league the loyalty of the American audience.

MLB and the NBA both have the international appeal to start franchises on other continents, yet they don't. Instead, players from foreign countries come here to be a part of those professional sports. Until the NFL becomes saturated with non-American talent, there is absolutely no reason to discuss putting a franchise on another continent. And, I don't see that happening, ever.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

IN my opinion, why NFL is the king now, and baseball and BBall are not:

NBA: the great generation of Jordan-Magic Johnson-Larry Bird retiring, and the people that replace them are talented, but not the legends that preceded them. Subsequently, the NBA turned more to the street culture, which turned off many classy (money spending) fans. Not a race issue, but a scumminess issue.

MLB: Like you said, the influx of non-American players had an impact.. the Roid scandals took a toll, on it. Once you tarnish what you consider to be heroes, you make an impact on the sport. McGwire-Sosa and Bonds were the biggest things happening the past 20 years, and those were all dirty as poop.

NFL: Goodell (Smart) Edits the game. Tilt the field towards the offense, and you will make legends at the QB position. There will not be a point in time again where a HOF QB is not playing, IMO. Because YOU produce the hall of famers with bending the rules against the defense. The High time for the NFL has been the last 15 years. Manning, Brady, etc. Legends. And when they're gone, there will be more to replace them: because the rules are setup to where they do not get hit, and their receivers stay clean until they catch the ball.

Winner, and smartest run operation: NFL.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

You guys know the "confused" German in that video is a joke, right?

Using soccer's (lack of) popularity in the U.S. as an argument for why the NFL shouldn't try to expand globally is a pretty poor argument. By all measures, interest in soccer (the EPL, in particular) is rapidly increasing in the U.S.

The NFL is nearing a saturation point in North America. Culture is becoming more and more global. You'd have to be a pretty dense businessman to not want to explore taking your product global. The NFL owners are not dense, so it makes perfect sense that they realize it's in their long-term interests to cultivate global interest in the sport.

It will certainly be an uphill battle to sell Europe on American football, but it's something the NFL almost has to try.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. Tuckfro42

Completely agree. That's why I qualified my "global" reason with "among other things." There is also the players' strike in MLB of '94. That one thing crushed the popularity of the sport. If you remember, McGwire and Sosa helped to bring back a lot of those fans who left after '94.

For as much as fans groan and complain about Roger Goodell, the man has helped to elevate the NFL to a level of popularity that can't be matched by other sports. My biggest concern is that he and the owners are buying into the idea that the NFL can become a global phenomenon. In my opinion, it can't. It is too unique of a game (and too expensive to play) for the rest of the world to latch on with the same level of passion as that of American fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar