Goodbye Arthur Smith Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titan4Ever, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young54

Young54 Starter

Totally disagree. I've seen more players schemed open than in the last few years. Especially in the red zone. He's had great TE outlet routes. We've also had perfectly timed screens that fell victim to passes in the dirt or drops. Tannehill finally took some shots down field last week too.

His biggest flaws have been on forcing the run with Lewis and some predictably timed play action passes. I wonder how many of the latter should have been checked at the line.

What else can you expect from a first time play caller dealing with a Swiss cheese offensive line and a timid and inaccurate passer. If we take off the blinders we'd see he's going a good job. Good, not great, but no one is perfect. I'd give him a B+. He's definitely earned his job

2. TitansStro

TitansStro Special Teams Standout

That’s a good point about the OL, but how much of the OL issues are a result of poor scheming and coaching? On paper, this OL should be light years better than they look.

3. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

Um, i think you are thinking of peyton....

4. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

Um, Peyton is retired

5. titanthakur

titanthakur Pro Bowler

Only thing you are “officially” is fattest member on the site.

#65 titanthakur, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

having Douglas and Davis as starters does not look very good to me on paper. Lewan has been a penalty machine since returning and I'm pretty sure that isn't on the OC and Saffold has been a turnstile...when you pay a guy huge FA money you expect him to be able to win most 1 on 1 battles

I certainly do question the ability of the OL coach because his unit is way under performing....I don't place that blame on the OC.

Now if we have a mismatch like we did years ago when Whisenhunt had Poutassi blocking JJ Watt 1 on 1 without help then that certainly is bad scheming and coaching malpractice....I just haven't seen situations like that this yr....the OL is just horrible at handing off any sort of stunt.

If the OL plays better the QB will look better and thus the OC will look better...as long as we aren't killing drives with fumbles by our RBs and INTs off the hands of our own recievers

7. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Why don’t you think before you type the wrong words lil guy

8. TitansStro

TitansStro Special Teams Standout

I’ll agree with you partly about the red zone. He’s done a decent job of using Tajae Sharpe in the red zone, but I’ve also seen a lot of bone head plays like a fade route to the corner of the end zone with Humphries, or having Kalif Raymond as your target in a critical situation. 26th in total offense is not worthy of a B+

9. Young54

Young54 Starter

upload_2019-11-5_11-39-59.png
    I see two open receivers with an easy first down to Walker. Tanny didn't pull the trigger. From trying to gauge his eyes, I'd say he was looking for the TD up top... which may have been open with more time. That is an good play and an easy first down. Receivers were schemed open before the pressure got there. He had options. This is an execution problem.

10. Young54

Young54 Starter

Quoting the ranking tells me that you're looking at the execution/ results. That is fine. Our offense has been a burdeon on our D. No argument there. But that is not an indication of the job Art is doing calling plays. That is what we are discussing. I'm seeing good plays, good timing, and poor execution. Didn't Kalif get us the first down? I'd actually like to see him play more.

I don't recall the fade to Hump, but if that is the case, maybe you can say it was a bad call. Overall, he's impressed me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar