Gloat's Gripes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

1. Jeff Fisher: Yes. I know, we won, and we're 10-0. However, Jeff Fisher's terrible offensive strategy has done it's best to kill what the talent of this team achieves. Running 2 downs in a row whether it on 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd to gain 3 yards isn't working. Meanwhile, we've shown that we can actually pass the ball decently when in dire need, and if we can do it while down 7 points, or 14 points - we can do it while being down 3 or having a lead.
    This would open up the offense. This would make running the ball easier. This would keep our defense fresh - and if you think they're great now? Imagine what they'd be like without the constant 3 and outs.

Yes, we're winning- but this conservative offense bit us in the tail back in 1999, and I feel it'll be just as heartbreaking this year. That one very important game will come along and our conservative offense will have us trailing a decent offense and we'll wait too late to begin passing and using what could have worked all game.

I didn't understand the firing of Norm Chow. I didn't understand the hiring of Heimerdinger. This offense hasn't changed one bit in the last 10 years. Regardless of strengths and personnel.

Next...

Chris Johnson - Don't get me wrong, I love the kid. I really do. And just like everyone else I got excited when he flashed his potential in a preseason game vs the St. Louis Rams. Only problem is- we haven't seen anything resembling that since that game. The most part of his struggles is the offensive playcalling. We heard over and over how we'd be so creative when it came to getting the ball in Johnson's hands... has anyone seen this? We're 10 weeks in. Has he done anything but basic screens outside the running game? Oh - there was that one little pitch/flip during the Colts game! That was cool. So one play...and him failing to convert short yardage situations isn't really his fault. It's the coaching for being dumb enough to have him attempting them knowing he is terrible after contact.
    Which brings me to this: I know he's not the biggest guy out there, but could we just once see a broken tackle? I know he's a rookie, but rookies have heart too, right? Countless times, unless he has a huge hole to run through he just crashes in to the line and begins falling down before he's even touched. Then, when he does have a large hole he makes a couple stutter step cuts and then trips over something...someone could give the guy a high 5 or a pat on the back and he'd fall over in the open field.
    He has all the speed in the world, but it's never going to matter unless the defense is completely out of position. He fails to use blockers, fails to cut outside when the open lane is there, and just doesn't see the gaps that would be easy 6 in most cases.
    Now, some of this will get better as he grows from season to season, but I'm just not so impressed so far. Maybe as a change of pace back, but not so much a starter in the future.

I still stick by the pick, and think he can still be great and is overachieving so far. It's just the little things. Show me some fight! Take it to the defense!

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 8
  3. cayal

cayal Starter

I'm pretty sure he had a big game against Kansas...

4. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

#3...Michigan 3-8

What's the point bro? We have won every single game.... Why gripe?

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TitanicDane

TitanicDane Boozer extraordinaire

ok, i'll bite...

#1: Running the ball/t.o.p. is an importent part of wearing out an opponent. That's what our team is build around, standing strong in the 4th against a worn out opponent. Think it was this game or the last game where they showed an interesting stat - something about Jeff Fisher only loosing two games in his entire career when going into the 4th quarter with a lead (percentage-wise only surpassed by Vince Lombardi)

#2: You must have been watching another player then i have. I see a player out there making good cuts and hitting the holes with determination. Sure he's not running over people like Eddy did but he's a smaller/leaner back.
    [Edit] I will agree with you on him not being feature back material though (though it's a little early to pass judgement). Thus far he has seemed most effective when splitting half n half with Lendale.

6. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

SKOALTitanicDane!:beer2:

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I thought he still was one of the conference's leading rushers.. Am I wrong?

he is better this year than Addai,
    he is better than Taylor and Jones Drew combined...
    better than 80 percent of the RBs in the league
    And you are expecting more?
    I was expecting a possibly good 3rd down back, maybe another Chris Henry. There is absolutely no room to complain.
    Sure, it's more fun to see Tom Brady-like gunslinging all the time, but that's never been what the Titans are, and probably never will be.
    We're winning,who cares.

8. TitanicDane

TitanicDane Boozer extraordinaire

According to nfl.com:
    total yards = 2nd in the AFC, 7th in the NFL (787 yds, 4.4 y/avg)

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

and if he could catch a swing pass......

10. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

[​IMG] C J

In all of the NFL:
    Peterson 1100
    Portis 1063
    M. Turner 971
    B. Jacobs 897
    T. Jones 854
    Gore 834
    C. Johnson 787

AND he is 8th in the league in YPC of those with 700+ yds!

The King is quite impressed by this and you should be also. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar