Givens article and other info

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ewker, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Alex..

The salary cap increased 14 million. Are you honestly saying that justifies a million dollar raise for every decent player on a team? Do the math the salary cap went up 14%. Givens per annum contract increased by 14% is 5.5M. Bennett who has had almost identical production as given's had got $6M.

Even if we attribute all the difference to the cap that only means that a guy like givens is worth $6M on the open market so there is no way you can say we over paid for him. Kevin curtis another comparable receiver at best got $5.33M a year. Apparently what we paid for givens was the market value.

It seems expensive at first but by the end of that deal the cap will be $160M and comparable players will be making $8-9M. That's nfl economics..

There were not many good fa WR in 06 either. Randle el got a $4.5M deal from the redskins.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cap savings.. cost..

Givens counts $5.7M against the cap but that includes a $2M roster bonus. He certainly isn't going to get a roster bonus this year is he? I'm assuming then the actual cap hit will be $3.7M to keep him unless i'm mistaken and it would be $2.8M if we cut him loose by june 1st. I say we eat the $2.8 and take our chances of doing without him.

Givens signing bonus was almost $5M so don't feel for him. He made over $6M last year.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

RollTide, you make good arguments here but doesn't it basically boil down to Givens being damaged goods? Do you think he will ever be worth a damn? Just look to some of the other injured receivers and db's the Titans and even other teams have suffered through. You think he's going to come back and put up sick numbers or what? I respect the idea that the FO should be good to fa signings in an effort to make Tennessee look attractive to potential acquisitions... 4 million, 5 million, 6 million... what is a busted up Givens worth?

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Givens is done..

That is clear. There is no point in keeping him around. I just object to this idea that he was a bad signing in the first place or grossly over paid. I would dearly love to see all these posts from the time of the signing that were down on getting him. I don't recall reading much criticism from then. Now that we know his knee is gone we want to use 20/20 hindsight in saying he was a bad pick up. There wasn't enough time for us to know that and injuries are a part of this game. you will get burned from time to time when a high draft pick or FA goes down. It's a shame but it doesn't mean it was wrong in the beginning..

We are not having much luck with our Wrs are we? Thigpen, calico and now givens. Geez..

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

don't forget Pickens...The Tennessee Titans the team where WR's go to die

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I actually remember reading quite a few posts that were down on the Givens signing, but most only used the rationale that we suck at signing FA wr's so therefore Givens will suck.

7. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

We have David Givens???????
    :grrhee:

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

When we signed Givens my general thought wasn't "what a horrible pick and a waste of money." I felt more like it was too much money based on his previous performance, nothing got me really excited about him, and I questioned throwing money around given the cap problems we were having.

And obviously it sucks he got injured, that's a crappy way to go, but it's not like he just sucked in performance. It's unfortunate and we'll never know how good he could have been. I doubt he would have been worth the money we signed him for, that's all I'm sayin, but what do I know. What were the other FA WRs out there that year, if anyone remembers?

Givens is kind of like Calico to me, what could he have really been? In the end, not much for the Titans.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I'm not arguing the type of contract he got. And I'm not arguing that he's not a solid WR. The problem is, we're not even sure how good a #2 WR he is and we shelled out quite a large chunk of money for him. So on the one hand, we're happy we get a vet WR. On the other hand, we overpaid for him IMO.

And you can't argue contracts by avg per year because Stallworth's contract would seem huge. But realistically, he'll get a pittance of what Givens is supposed to make.

And while it appears the smart play is to put him on IR, he still gets a $2mil roster bonus (depends on how that's written in his contract) making him the 5th highest paid (cap-wise) player on the team. I don't know about you, but I don't think he's the 5th best player on the team, we don't have as much cap space as people think (especially since we're gonna have to extend some players) and really should look to trade for a big time RDE (who may need a big contract).

So Givens will be chewing up a chunk of cap space, is unlikely to play well (if at all this season) and who knows how good he'd be in the future after such a major injury? Didn't he suffer the injury WITHOUT contact?

And no one will be crying for Givens...not even Givens. It's part of the business. He got his signing bonus and after he gets healed, he'll certainly get offers (like KVB) to come back. He'll probably go through a vet minimum one year contract to earn another big payday (like KVB)....but if he can still play...he'll get another (perhaps even bigger) contract.

Why do you think it 'scummy' to cut him now as opposed to putting him on ir for a year and then cutting him (assuming he needs cutting)? If he needs cutting next year, it'll only cost us more money so we should cut him now. If he can still play in '08, he'll get a vet min contract. If (another IF) he can play well, then he'll stand to get the money back anyway.

But if he can't play...we'd be smarter to cut him now.

We can make better use of the salary cap space AND perhaps sign a better replacement (like Keyshawn).

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar