Pre-Game Thread Game 8: Titans @ Colts

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 26, 2021.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2021.
  1. Titans by 1-3

6.8%
  2. Titans by 4-6

9.1%
  3. Titans by 7-9

22.7%
  4. Titans by 10-13

15.9%
  5. Titans by 14+

25.0%
  6. Colts by 1-3

2.3%
  7. Colts by 4-6

9.1%
  8. Colts by 7-9

9.1%
  9. Colts by 10-13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Colts by 14+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carp

Carp Starter

At no point did I say we should change our offense in a close game (unless of course, what we're doing isn't working). The point is, we should absolutely limit his carries when available. You know, like last week when we were up by 24 with 8 minutes left to play. There's no reason to give him unnecessary carries.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  2. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Ok cool so you limit his carries in the 4th quarter last week. So now he has 4 less attempts on the season. Glad you just added years onto his NFL life by doing that… if only it were that easy.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Carp

Carp Starter

For one, the unnecessary carries add up over the course of a season. Guess who was taking every snap late in the game vs Jax with a 12 point lead? Why it looks like Derrick Henry again. There's another 5 extra carries.

More importantly, there is simply no reason whatsoever to needlessly expose him to an injury. No one is immune from random injuries. Even Derrick himself missed a game late in 2019 with hamstring issues.

4. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Even if we have 5 “blowout” wins where we can pull Derrick from the game. That’d be like 20 carries total. You really think 20 carries is going to be the difference in him being “fresh” in the postseason?

It’s very clear we want to get Derrick the record and he deserves it. Plus it’s our best chance to win games. We limit his workload on 2nd and longs and most 3rd downs. Sure we can nitpick times when maybe he can be on the sideline but let’s not act like we can cut 100 or even 50 carries out of his season.

Again he’s in his prime. I’d rather have 450 carry Derrick at 26-27 than a 350 carry Derrick at 34. Use him while we got him. He’s our best chance at winning too. Let’s go win now.

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. Carp

Carp Starter

Yes. I do. He's averaging 27 carries per game, so an extra 20 carries is essentially an extra game worth of carries on his body. That's significant over the course of a season. And again, it isn't worth the potential injury risk. There is literally nothing to gain by running Derrick out there with the game wrapped up.

Hell if it doesn't matter, why not run Derrick 40 times a game? 50 times? His linebacker body can handle it right?

#55 Carp, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • High Five High Five x 2
  6. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Jayon, Brewer, and Roberson designated to come off IR.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Afc46

Afc46 Oilers/Titans HoFer

On Wednesday, the team designated three players to return from IR in inside linebacker Jayon Brown, outside linebacker Derick Roberson and backup guard/center, Aaron Brewer.

You beat me to it

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

although he’s not showing it now i worry he will be fatigued by the time playoffs come. Hope they start throwing the ball more like last week instead of chasing records. The Titans have a history of running running backs into the ground, and although it’s not showing now it will eventually catch up to him.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Not sure fatigue, getting wore down, or getting overworked is in Henry's vocabulary
    hqdefault.jpg

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. TexasTitanFan

TexasTitanFan Starter

The Titans are now 3-0 when Taylor Lewan plays less than 50% of the snaps in a game with wins against the Seahawks, Bill's, and Chiefs. 2-2 with Lewan.

I made a similar post last week as a joke. Now, I'm wondering if there might actually be something to it. No, I don't think it's about Lewan. I think it's about our game plan to cover for his absence. We seem to run more quick passes, screens, and pitch-outs when he is out and the other interior guys are banged up. When he is in the game our "identity" is to bully the other team between the tackles, which is so predictable it gets stuffed often.

Same thing happened on defense this week. Our secondary is so thin we signed "Bob, the Wal Mart night stock guy" on Tuesday and he was on the field in the 1st quarter. Yet, somehow, we managed to miraculously find a 4 man pass rush that was so effective that even Bob looked good. (No offense to the player we actually signed, just jokes).

So both our offensive and defensive game plans seem to actually be better when we are covering for injuries, than when we are healthy and trying to force our will/"identity" on the opponent.

I think, if we keep mixing things up to keep the opponent off balance, we can run the table, or at least come close. BUT... I fear we will be stubborn, and go back to predictable when healthy and end up losing games we should win.

#60 TexasTitanFan, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar