Post-Game Thread Game 6 Final Score: Titans 24-Steelers 27

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

I would be royally shocked if ANYONE on our defense will be even close to garnering pro bowl votes. Unless something changes very quick, very soon....

2. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

That’s why he should’ve only been paid vet minimum and performance bonus of 1 million for every sack he gets, I bet he’d be playing much better, Beasley too. There’s not many players left who actually love the game of football.

3. grindtime

grindtime Starter

I'm pumped to see how we do the rest of the season. Our ceiling is so high when our defense plays well. To hold Pit to 3 points, we haven't seen what the Titans can be. 6 games in with a new defense coordinator. Going to take sometime. 5-1 is a lot better than 2-4. Big thing is no more injuries.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Afc46

Afc46 Oilers/Titans HoFer

The steelers are on such a high right now fans and the team behaving as if the season is over , they'll be flat against the ratbirds next Sunday , and that game is the game that matters (afc north) because it's a div. game for both of them.

5. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

FB_IMG_1603686975161.jpg

6. El Guapo

El Guapo Starter

Proud of how they battled back, sad about the outcome. This team will be deadly once the D settles in. I hope we get the playoff rematch

7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Would you say you have a "plethora" of pride?

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. RTH

RTH Meh...

A game like this can humble you, bring you "back to earth" and show you your flaws... figure out how to fix them.

The problem is... we've known what our problems are for weeks and have yet to figure out how to fix them.

We finally get a GREAT offense and now my fear is it will be squandered by a bad defense.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see Gostkowski getting better as the weather gets worse. It's inexcusable for an NFL kicker to be making only 62.5 of his FG attempts.

But the bigger issue is the defense. I know getting Adoree back will help but I think we have an issue with scheme or the plays called on third down.

Here's an article about he Titans D last season before the Chiefs game:
    Titans Bring Bill Belichick-Flavored Defensive Scheme into Week 10 Showdown vs. Chiefs.

It's pretty good at breaking down the Titans defensive scheme and how to beat it. I'm seeing a lot of the same things now (crossing and rub routes) they're unable to stop on third down.

Obviously, without a better pass rush, no scheme adjustments will work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

The throw chart shows it all. Steelers knew the Titans DB's would be playing off and they attacked underneath all game long knowing their speedy receivers could consistently get YAC and first downs. These throws do not require a lot of time to develop (I think Ben's average throw time after the snap was a bit over 2 seconds). On many of the defensive snaps in the first half, the dbs and lbs were moving back on the snap. The defense did not have any success until they started sending 5 rushers and playing the CB's a little closer. The tackling was also much improved in the second half.

Schematically, Vrabel and Bowen need to bring pressure on a more consistent basis or teams will continue to have no issues moving up and down the field. The Steelers had the ball for 38 minutes yesterday. Luckily, this defense has gotten some timely turnovers that have masked this problem, but as yesterday showed, even winning the turnover battle 3-0 isn't enough when you can't stop a team on third down and there are breakdowns in other areas of the team.

#120 wrench248, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar