Post-Game Thread Game 12 Final Score: Browns 41 - Titans 35

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

He got worked against the Colts too. It was just a matter of time.

2. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Have we ever won when they have a code blue? It seems to me like the Titans always lay an egg when it’s a code blue

3. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

4. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Byard can't talk, he's taken this season off..trashass

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

Perhaps there is a deeper reason that Byard has been off this season.

Even Butler last week in an interview said they play better and stronger when in man coverage, and then this week a lot more of playing off the receiver.

Loosing Pees and Coombs was a lot bigger than all of us expected.

6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Funny we looked and played better against Indy, press coverage and man and blitzing. So this week we go back to what has not worked zone and soft coverage with huge cushions and not blitzing. One would think you would go with what worked and not go back to what has been getting you torched.

We have really missed Dean Peas

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. tyronecalico

tyronecalico Starter

Don’t want to make excuses but this was an obvious missed call and led to the Browns scoring immediately afterwards. Even the sideline conversion to Batson that we had to challenge seemed pretty obvious in real time.

8. Afc46

Afc46 Oilers/Titans HoFer

Refs ... Is what they do

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This is an article from over a month ago on the Titans D:
    Titans: Mike Vrabel, Bill Belichick struggled to replace Dean Pees

Basically, it says that when Pees left the Patriots over a decade ago and Belicheck didn't replace him, the Patriots D was horrible on third down.

After yesterday's chitshow, I was wondering if the Titans D needed to be simplified. Communication has been an issue and there's a lot of changes week-to-week due to injuries. Maybe a more basic approach gets everyone on the same page so the focus is more on execution and not as much on assignment.

But it appears the Pees scheme was the opposite. It was more complex which allowed for more changes week-to-week and even during games without the assignment issues we've seen most of this season. It allowed for more "freelancing" but, to be fair, it took a couple of seasons before the Titans D was comfortable enough in his scheme to play loose and fast.

I do think having injuries and new players in the mix has played a role but I also think the defense misses some of the skills and leadership Logan Ryan possessed (especially his ability to blitz). Both Woodyard and Casey were captains so I can see how, even though both had declining skills, no longer having their leadership is having a negative impact as well.

The one thing I think that can have the most impact the rest of this season is for Byard to return to form. He's regressed more than anyone this season and, if he can get right, there's some hope the Titans D can turn things around and get the defense headed in the right direction before the playoffs.

I don't expect the Titans D to become anything more than average at best but getting turnovers covers a lot of deficiencies.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar