Gaither to the ravens and Oliver to the chargers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ONUV, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yes and no. http://football.about.com/od/miscinformation/a/supplementdraft.htm

There is a lottery style determination of the draft order but the teams are seperated into three groups, those with six wins or less, the second group are the rest of the teams that didn't make the playoffs and the final group are the playoff teams.

By the way, Gaither was taken by the Ravens, a team that made the playoffs and actually had the 31st pick when they took him so yes the Titans could have drafted him in the 5th round had they wanted. Same as Oliver in the 4th because SD was a playoff team so even though we don't know where we picked and they picked specifically we do know our pick was ahead of theirs.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

This whole premise is ridiculous. Nobody is saying the Titans were "relying"
    on anything nor am I saying we were smart or stupid for not getting these guys. Nobody with a brain would say a team was "relying" on any single draft pick supplemental or regular draft.

The issue is if a player is a 2nd round talent and you could have taken him in the 5th round isn't smart to do so? It isn't about "relying" on the supplemental draft for anything, it is about making smart football decisions.

Now, after we have cleared our heads of this "relying" baloney look at the team that did take these players. Are they "relying" on these guys or did they decide these guys could help them this year and were worth well above what a comparable pick would get them in next years draft. I think the Ravens sure do considering they may have taken a guy who could play LT in the NFL with a 5th round pick and at the very least should be a RT. They looked at the guys film, worked him out, interviewed him and determined he was a good value in the 5th round so they took him. They were not desperate but smart. Now if the Titans looked at him on film and decided he really wasn't an upgrade to Otto so they passed on him or maybe did bid a later pick on him then so be it. By the way, no one knows if the Titans actually made bids on these guys or not. They might have had both guys pegged later. Wouldn't suprise me if the Titans didn't want to "over pay".
    Also, we all know that last year Hall was in the supplemental draft but didn't get taken. Knowing what we know now about Hall would it have been a bad idea to offer a 6th or 7th round pick for him? In other words we were lucky he decided to try out at Tennessee. Again, the supplemental draft isn't because these guys are rejects or something, they just had unique circumstances. Bernie Kosar was one of those unique circumstances.

3. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Oliver had some of the worst CB workout numbers I've ever seen. Granted he may not have had proper time to prep for the workout, but they were awful. He's also NOT 6'0, as GA listed him. He's about 5'10. He did look good leaping against CJ, but in his workouts he posted a 33 inch vert, IIRC. Nothing great, that's for sure.

Gaither has great size and agility. He may have been worth bringing in, but he's a risk. He's not the next stud LT in the NFL.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Sheesh, the "relying" thing wasn't directed at you, it was at the people above who were complaining about not believing that we missed out on those guys. It was not entirely in response to this thread, but on the reactions of some to those two players over the past few months.

Yes, the issue is certainly value. These guys aren't rejects? I'd consider a LT who flunked out of a state football program to be a reject. You can butter up the language all you want, but these are guys who lost their eligibility for one reason or another.

I consider Hall to be a great example of how the supplemental players can be a great value. I really like Hall and would have gladly given a 6th or 7th for him. However, that doesn't mean he would have been less of a risk. I'd also say that Hall was about as far from a character question as you can get. Hard work and dedication were not issues, it was whether he could make it talent wise, and his age.

I guess we just value these guys differently. I'm sure the Ravens and Chargers know more about these guys than I do, but I'm just saying I don't think it would have been worth the risk to spend a pick on them.

I think Kosar is a bad example. Much has changed in the 25 years since he was drafted. I also wouldn't consider either of these guys in the same "unique circumstances" as Kosar. Either of them manage a double business major in two years?

5. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

One name... Chris Carter

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Carter didn't surprise anyone with his talent. He was sick in college. It was signing with an agent too early that stuck him in the supplemental.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Considering how bad we are at drafting and how much we need good CBs, I really wish we had taken Oliver.

In some ways, he's the anti-Woolfolk. Not necessarily an amazing athlete, just a good football player. We need some of those.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'll point out that the Ravens and Chargers needed their respective players a bit more than we did.

Ravens need Jonathan Ogden replaced. Their line is in an official state of collapse.

Chargers have...who?...Quentin Jammer?...and?

We're better off at both those position groups than they are. Trust me.

Also, I suspect each player has what I like to call "Ben Troupe" intelligence.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

antonio cromartie. im thinking oliver is a perfect nickleback for them though.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Could be. Well, nickleback is one position I don't think we need filled. Nick Harper will play there someday. And then we have Finnegan, Herndon, Griffin, Smith and Woolfolk who can all play nickle. We need that outside spot shored up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar