Gage signs new contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

Good, keep Gage, Williams, and S-can the rest of the receivers.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

B. Jones is garbage we should let his arse go too! There is plenty more wideouts outhere, the guy can't hold on to the ball plus he stays hurt a lot..

3. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

By the way great news on Gage!!

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Wow that was Gage's contract?

Awesome deal for us! Nice low deal. That really is excellent.

I know from a previous thread that this isn't a popular opinion... but R.Williams will be an UFA after next season if we don't re-sign him. If we are ever going to trade him, it will be now. I'd really like to see us use R.Williams + draft pick to move up in the draft, or as part of a package deal.

My reasoning is that R.Williams has had plenty of time to become a number 1 receiver for this team. He couldn't have had it more perfect last season when B.Jones went down to injury and he only had Gage competing with him. Yet Gage still ties him with catches and out does Roydell in yards.

I'd like to see us with a new FA WR (i think I'm leaning towards Bryant Johnson) and an early draft pick at WR. B.Jones can be WR#4 along with our wasted two WRs from last year or Ealy.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It was a bargain. Four-years, $14 mil. $6.5 of it guaranteed.

Bennett got six-years, $30 mil with $10 guaranteed a year ago.

That's $3.5 mil vs. $5 mil.

6. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Drew had several more years of production though. Gage only had a single pretty good year.

That being said, I think that the deal was fair to both sides. Gage gets a 250% raise (on average) and the Titans get a modest cap hit.

Nicely done...

I just hope they left enough time to work on Odom...

7. TitanJeff

It's about upside.

Bennett has only had one season better than Gage's 750 yards last season and appears already on a decline.

8. I don't think we'll sign any more FA WRs, personally. I expect we'll draft one, though who really knows.

As it is right now, we have:
    Gage
    Brandon Jones
    Roydell Williams
    Chris Davis
    Paul Williams
    Ealy
    Mike Williams

The last few guys hardly have a firm grip on a roster spot, but we certainly have a lot of depth. And the team may put some faith in Roydell and Brandon to develop in their contract years. If they do, we should have a solid set of WRs other than not having a true #1.

9. TitanJeff

I think we'll try to go for another WR but it may not be a big name.

The way I see it shaking out:
    Gage
    B. Jones
    R. Williams
    Another vet
    C. Davis
    P. Williams
    Drafted rookie

I don't think M. Williams will make it and Ealy will need to beat out Davis or P. Williams to stick.

10. Well most teams keep 5 WRs active on gameday and have a 6th inactive. And we already have enough to cover that, plus I still expect them to draft a WR somewhere.

I just don't see any reason to add a veteran WR unless he's going to be a #1 WR (or perhaps even just start). We have depth, what we need is a #1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar