Future of Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Titans have several key players in contract years, and *potentially* big contracts looming (Byard, MM, Henry, Ryan, Conk, etc). There has been a lot of talk on the radio lately about who is in and who is out. But seems like everyone has this being Henry's last year here, even if he has a good season.

In the scenario where Henry does have a big year, the overall sentiment seems to be that the Titans won't pay him. RBs are easily replaced via the draft so no need to spend big money on that position (this is what all the local radio talking heads seem to think)

But, are RBs really that easy to replace? Do they not remember the years of Bishop Sankey and Antonio Andrews?

Plus, if Henry does pick up where he left off last year, then you could be talking a top 5 RB in the NFL (rushing at least). We all saw how Henry could completely take over games. If that were to continue, does anyone really think we could just take any 2nd/3rd round back and get equal production?

Also, keep in mind Henry has not taken a lot of hits / caries over his 1st 3 seasons, so there would be a lot of tread left on the tires compared to other RBs entering their 2nd contract.

If Henry continues to play well for a full season, I say pay the man.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I think it really depends on the price. The average salary/year for the top 15 RB's in the league is ~$7.7M. He is currently 25, so I see the sweet spot being a 3 year deal for about $20M.

That's pending him actually piggy backing what he did in the second half of last season though.

Also, I don't see us having a ton of competition in free agency, and actually think we might could get him a little cheaper. He doesn't fit into what a lot of other teams are looking for in a RB these days: a 3 down back that plays a heavy role in the passing game. He really means more to us than most other teams.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

If he really plays lights out we could tag him for 2 years, similar to LevBell, while working on an extension.

4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Tag him?? Even the transition tag is $10M. He's not worth that.

I love Henry, but he does not do what Lev Bell, Gurley, or David Johnson do in the passing game. Even if he did, it would make sense to do like the Steelers and tag him for 2 years, and then let him walk. RB's of Henry's style don't last much past 28 or 29.

5. VondyP

he's not worth 10mil if he's putting up 1300+ yards a season? I disagree heavily

6. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

From all the stuff I've read over the course of the OTA's I feel like the Titans may be done with Conk. He is supposedly still having issues with that knee. If that's the case you can count that cap money toward Henry if you want to.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

If we cut Lewis and draft a cheap replacement for him, then I'm ok with that. But we don't need $15M tied up in 2020 at the RB spot is really the issue to me.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Only 3 RBs are making over 10 million.

He would have to have one hell of a season to get a contract over 10m

9. VondyP

i find it hard to believe dion makes it past this season at his contract amount. there is an out after this season in his contract for a reason.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Henry is a weird case. Big (too damn big for a back) but doesn’t run overly aggressive and really can break away. If he continues his late season trend and we get someone young/different style next to him, I’m all for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar