From the Gut: 13:07

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

I don't think Vince will let the team slow down...

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Thanks!

:))

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

OK, so Kiwanuka was a legit first rnd pass rusher, but without looking...can you name the other 5 replacement starters? And no team can field quality backups at 6 of 11 starting positions so yes, the Giants were depleted. And despite Kiwanuka's talent, he hasn't seen the field too much when Umenyora and Strahan are healthy so he still lacks experience. But even if you don't count Kiwi as a backup, we were running our 7 blockers (with 1 backup in Scaife) vs their front 7 (3 backups). We should still have obvious mismatch advantages...and yet they stuffed us. I'm actually grading the OL play by play right now and I'll write that up when I'm done. There is some good and some bad!

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

That's TJ's brilliance at work!

:))

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I did too but no one at the WFAN or any of the sports 'experts'...not even Dog!

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

And yet...

They are in a position to go to the playoffs and have a winning record. When we have those injuries, our season goes into the tank fast. Keep in mind, with more than half their defense injured, we ONLY scored 24 points. Teams avg 27 points against our D at FULL STRENGTH.

Gut

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Ya know, I just can't help but wonder...what is full strength? Quite often around the league a starter goes down, and the backup brings some serious game to the field...even if it's only a flash in the pan. Nick Goings...Joseph Addai...Jake Delhomme...and in our case, Cortland Finnegan.

Where others see this game in terms of stats and 40-yard dashes, I still see it in terms of heart. The starters get paid big $$ to play...the backups WANT to play, and want to keep that job.

Of course, I hate to see when it's just flashes, and they can't hold their production up (Goings, Chris Brown). But often those flashes are stronger than "full strength".

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Surely you're not suggesting that the Giants have a BETTER D with more than half their starters on the bench, are you?

And aren't a handful of injuries the same excuse for our D hitting rock bottom a few years ago?

It's certainly possible to get good production from a 'backup,' but Addai is not a backup per se as he is a high draft pick who probably would be the fulltime starter if he knew all the pass protections as well as Rhodes.

Kiwanuka is also a high draft pick, but I could also make the argument that as talented as Kiwi is, he probably did play at the level of the Pro Bowl DE he was replacing. Hence, the D is still worse at his position.

And the Titans consider Nickel Back a starting position because he tends to play as many snaps as the MLB (who is also considered a starter). So Finnegan is a starter on this team. On te other hand, it appears we're better when some of our 'starters' are injured.

Gut

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Interesting stat from ESPN. With Strahan in the lineup, they are 22-10. With him out, they are 1-10. Now that is just ONE impact player missing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar