From a Dolphins fan: Tell me about Volek

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PressCoverage, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Neither did Steve.

Those stats on Volek's first 9 starts: for most of that time he had a decent team around him, but remember when those stats got posted? The nexy day after the KC MNF game, Dec 13 04. Sure, KC had no defense, but we were suiting up the waterboys and cheerleaders just to get 11 men on the field.

He's had some bad games since then, but the whole team has also. The Chow plan failed miserably. I still won't be holding BV's feet to the fire.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

I can't believe this thread is into the second page and Volek's durabilty (or lack thereof) has been mentioned only once.

I don't want to sound like I don't like him, because I do...he's easily one of the best backup QB's in the league. But there are some very good reasons why he's not a starter.

In ten career starts, he has sustained two season-ending injuries (ruptured spleen in '03, separated shoulder in '04), and was knocked out of two or three others. In his last three starts, he didn't finish a single one of them. He's a quality QB, and he's one of the best deep-ball passers in the league...far better than McNair....but the fact of the matter is, he's made of glass. And I don't care how good a QB is, he can't help you if he's in the training room getting X-rays after every third series. (Also, as was mentioned earlier, he has a tendency to hang onto the ball too long, waiting for something to develop. He also doesn't have a particularly good feel for pass pressure...and these two things make for a very dangerous combination. He gets clobbered a lot.)

3. It's a downfield passing attack installed by Linnehan in Miami. It requires accuracy on the deep out, something Frerotte lacks badly. I don't think you can call a ruptured spleen -- half your equation -- an indication of "injury prone."

With Hudson Houck, we've made chicken soup with chicken poop on our O-Line, and it should improve further, giving an inexpensive guy like Volek time to throw.

Frankly, Brees' shoulder worries me. He wasn't very strong-armed to begin with. Culpepper is a fine individual talent, but also a clown coming off a major injury that could cut out a significant portion of his game. Additionally, either will cost a mint.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

wasnt he played by Bruce Willis?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar