Fried tators and cornbread. Tennessean Folk.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jessestylex, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

As the unofficial Underboss of the CornBread Mafia, I have to report there has been cornbread fried by my family members throughout the Appalachian Mountains since around 1830.

My grandmother lived until she was 96, she always lived at home and was able to cook and care for herself until the end. My mom and dad lived just a block away from her, so my dad brought groceries to her and took her to the doctor once a month.
    She was always happy, every memory I have of her she is laughing and enjoying life. Even though her life was full of hard work.

She will always be saint Marie to us...

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I almost forgot about the Fried Bologna sandwich. i ate them almost every day for lunch during the summer when we were out of school. for a few years we had to eat cereal with milk fresh from the cows, still had yellow in it. my grandma had 13 kids plus grandkids always coming over so it would've coasted thousands to keep us feed from the store.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Chess Pie anyone?

Anyone here ever grub out down at Barbara's Home Cooking?

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Don't tell me there's a meat-n'-three in the Franklin area I've not heard about yet.

I've not been to Monell's yet in Franklin but did when it was in Gallatin and thought it was excellent.

One of the better day trips is to go to Lynchburg to tour the Jack Daniel's distillery and have dinner at Miss Mary Bobo's. But get that reservation in weeks in advance.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

[​IMG]
    http://www.hollyeats.com/BarbarasHomeCooking.htm
    Dunno if Barbara's qualifies as a true Meat n Three but it's close enough. It's basically this lady's house, with her kids serving the food in the living room, patio etc. It's located on where Old Hillsboro meets Hillsboro maybe a mile south of Sneed.

BTW, Monell's in Franklin is closed..

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

How could I have no known about this?

That site is great. Should be called "Holyeats". :yes:

http://www.hollyeats.com/South.htm

7. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Man..those rolls look fantastic. I could sit and eat a basket of those hot rolls with butter and a big glass of sweet tea and be in heaven.

8. jdog

jdog I like beer!

You need to mix in a few onions in the potatoes and fry them with a little bacon grease.
    Be sure and save some cornbread so you can have cornbread and milk in a glass with onions and a little buttermilk floater.
    Yes ,my father and family came out of the Sugarlands just past the National Park Headquarters in the Smokies.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

yeah, my grandpa loves a glass of buttermilk with crumbled up cornbread in it. he eats it with a spoon. my grandma makes gravy out of lard and they use it on their biscuits in the mornings.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

My grandmother made greenbeans in a pressure cooker seasoned with fat back, and they were so good you could make a meal out of just them.

She always cooked with lard, never had a meal in her life that wasn't fried, had at least 3 types of meat at every supper...she would dip snuff and like I said, she lived to a healthy 96 years of age. She passed away in her sleep, probably dreaming of chicken and dumplins...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar