Free agent DE Jason Babin will visit with the Titans on Sunday and Monday.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

No comparison at all to KVB. KVB was signed to a one year deal at minimum wage. There was no risk at all in that signing and KVB was only 27 at the time. Had he not worked out they just cut him with no cap penalty and no loss.

Babin wants a multiyear deal for much more than the vet minimum and is about to turn 30.

Babin's agent no doubt is comparing his client to Kampman and KVB who only had a sack more than Babin had last year and signed 4 year $6.5M a year deals. He is probably wanting at least half that and he is not worth it.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How do Babin's 2.5 sacks compare to the other Eagle DE's?

Trent Cole 12.5 sacks

Jaqua Parker 8 sacks

Darren Howard 6.5 sacks

He was a very distant 4th in sacks at his position!

Apparently not very difficult to get a lot of sacks in that defense.

3. Jazzy Titan

Jazzy Titan yum yum eat em up

Where are you getting your info that his agent is trying to compare babin to pro bowl ends?

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's an agents job to over hype his player to get the best deal possible. What he is actually asking for might be just half what they got but you know darn well he is selling his player.

Posters here said he was the best DE left in free agency. That's not a marketing tool? We have to go after him he is the best guy out there is a mentality ripe for over paying for crap.

And of course his agent is pushing for a multiyear deal because that means more signing bonus and more cash for him up front.

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

6. Jazzy Titan

that may be his job but I dont think he is going to try that on any team because he knows it just simply wont work. I dont see babin getting a overpaid deal. I think a team if not us will get him for his value. maybe a few extra million in incentives.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The point is we can't act desperate and over pay for a guy just because the market this year is thin. Anything more than a one year deal for this guy is wrong.

Aaron Kampman is coming off total reconstructive knee surgery and still got a 4 year $26M deal.

KVB is 31 1/2 years old and his sack numbers have fallen sharply for 2 straight years and he got the same deal.

So off course Babin's agent is going to make every positive comparison he can make in the hope that he can get a decent deal.

A one year deal worth no more than one million with maybe another million in incentives is the way to go with this guy. Keep him hungry and motivated because he has never been productive

8. Jazzy Titan

true however if he ha sa good year then to keep him were going to have to pay a lot more for that next contract. Honestly it wont bother me if we sign this guy for 2 or 3 years. Not a big fan of the 1 year deals, for the reason i mentioned earlier. Even if we do sign this guy for a few years and he sucks it up its not like we cant cut him. This isn't the NBA.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Then you wasted a signing bonus and a roster spot and if we have the cap in 2011 we pay a cap penalty from the signing bonus.

We already have 8 defensive linemen under contract. We only have room for one more and i prefer we have a rookie get that spot or a guy who can honestly upgrade the position.

This guy is a nobody! He would be at best our #4 DE. Why would you ever give a guy like that a multiyear deal? It's not like he is a young guy who can develop he has already played on 4 other teams.

10. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

But if they sign him to a multi year deal and there is no cap in 2011 and they dont feel he is worth it they can dump him with no penalty. I am pretty sure every team in the league isn't comparing him to Kampman or KVB, both of those are proven guys. There is no team in the league who he is going to sign Babin to a 3 year $9 million dollar deal based on the market. He has never lived up to his draft status so why should he get paid? A 3 year deal with a low base salary and lots of production incentives would be the way to go and by a lot I mean maybe $2 million.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar