Formula for a successful rest of the season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Most of us here follow the games closely and know the Titans have played poorly offensively for weeks and were lucky to win some games. They turned over the football too much. The running game was inconsistent. Young was pathetic.

But the Titans were healthy and many of their opponents were not. The Titans had minimal penalties which helped as well. Now, the Titans have some players out and appear to being playing sloppy.

I think the Titans have a shot in each game down the stretch. But I can see us spiraling downward as well as finishing strong at this point.

I thought it would be interesting to rank, in importance, what the Titans need to do to get back to their winning ways. For me...

1. Get Albert back. Once they do, I think many of the issues facing the defense fixes itself.

2. Get the running game going again. White isn't making it happen but the OL hasn't done a lot to give him opportunities either. Also, the Titans have had to abandon the run the last two weeks.

3. Protect the football. The Titans turnover rate is too high. It's been a problem most of the season.

I think these three things are essential to the Titans gaining a playoff spot. I like the idea of Young playing more consistently but I don't think it's close to being the most important issues facing the Titans.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

This may sound silly, but I thought Chris Brown helped establish some rhythm late in the game. I know it wasn't really enough to make a huge difference but the guy was getting some quality touches and making some yards. It was nice to see our change of pace guy back.

3. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

Here's mine.....RUSH THE PASSER!....it worked in the first 8 games.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

1. Play with confidence. I am concerned about the defense starting to doubt itself. They looked timid at times last night (maybe it was all Reynaldo). The defense needs to play with swagger. Same with Vince. He needs to play like he knows he's going to win, regardless of what anyone else on the team is doing. We clearly were overachieving in the first half of the season and we will probably have to keep overachieving if we are going to miss the playoffs. Swagger can win you a game that you would otherwise lose.

2. Establish consistency in the running game. This probably means Lendale is the one who has to step up, since I don't see him losing the job unless he gets hurt. We don't need 200 yard games every week or even 150 yard games, because I am confident that Vince can make plays passing when he needs to. We just need good production from the backs on 1st and 2nd down and we need to be confident that we can pick up 2 or 3 yards rushing on 3rd down.

3. I agree with Jeff. Stop turning the ball over. The occasional fumble happens, but we have to cut out the muffed punts and bad interceptions.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

How about making some open field tackles. That would help.

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I agree with everything in your post Jeff, but I think I’d add another. It’s time to unleash VY. The guy is easily our best player on that side of the ball, it’s time to make this his offence. It’s time for Fish to free him from the role of game manager (it’s actually a role Vince doesn’t perform so well in). I’d like to see the Titans be super aggressive on offence at the beginning of games. Start Brown in the backfield (or even better Henry if he’s up to speed on his blocking assignments). For better or worse I’d like to see the Titans O blitz the opponent’s defense. Pass early and often to open up the running game. And in calling passing plays this allows for more opportunity for Vince to scramble and create rushing yardage himself. In the second half when the opponents D is tired from chasing VY around, run El Dub down their throats.

I realize this puts our best player at risk, but what are the Titans saving him for? It would seem now is as good a time as any to make the change in philosophy. Vince is still young and apt to make his share of mistakes, but I think that’s the road this franchise eventually needs to go; the sooner they get to it the sooner they’ll reap the dividends.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

screw the running game! let's go five wide the whole game!

hey.... it works in madden....

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

1. Score more points than the opponent. (Study from UT showed that results in winning 85% of games)

2. Start doing push-ups again for blown assignments, dropped balls, etc. (Or alternatively, a stiff kick in the nutsack)

3. Kiss the refs butts more. (Haynesworth has the biggest lips and could cover the most ground)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar