Forget about VY starting

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Arcane, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

He managed to complete a pass in the 4th quarter I imagine.

2. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

How about Kerry's 2 picks in week 2? ANd I'm guessing you didnt watch game 4 at all, considering he threw a pick and came back and was better the rest of the game throwing a touchdown.

Also what do you know, the usually list of people that gripe about Vince.....

Gloat, Eddyc85

3. oldoilerfan

oldoilerfan Camp Fodder

Look for VY in the next game. The only thing we can be sure of is politicians and football coaches usually mean the opposite of what they say. Good Luck Vince.

4. oldoilerfan

oldoilerfan Camp Fodder

Practice! Did you say practice? Let's see what he does in game situations. I believe he will learn the speed of the game and adjust accordingly. If not, his NFL career will be short lived. Kerry is not the future. If VY is not then we need to know. I suspect Bud still needs to know, otherwise TN would have drafted a QB last year.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/...ack-change-needed/comment-page-1/#comment-958

Interesting blog but even more interesting comments. I added one to it myself.

So far, the Jets have made good QBs look bad. Schaub and Brady both had a passer rating in the mid-50's. This is where Andre Johnson and Randy Moss play, remember? Even with two of the league's best WRs, these passing games struggled AT HOME.

No one is saying Collins is playing where he needs to be if the Titans are to be a winning team. He must play better. Here are his projected stats over a 16-game season:

55.2% completion, 3360 yds, 6.0 avg, 69.9 passer rating, 21 TDs, 21 INTs

21 TDs puts Collins in the top 10 in that category in '08 but the other number are horrible. If you look at Brett Favre's numbers from '08, this is about it.

Now, let's look at Vince Young in '07:

62.3% completions, 2546 yards, 6.7 avg, 71.1 passer, 9 TD, 17 INT

Is that the formula for a winning team? This got the Titans into the playoffs and it's amazing it happened with a QB who was this bad.

Unless we now think Young is a much better QB (and I don't), even Collins and his poor numbers would be preferred over what Young would do.

Jacksonville is dead last against the pass right now. If Collins goes down there and stinks it up, then it may be time for change just to shake things up. But, as of right now, and based on the other options the Titans have at QB, I don't make a change.

If special teams play half way decent in the Steelers and Jets game and the secondary doesn't blow it against the Texans, the Titans would be 3-0.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The Jets are irrelevant, it's an issue that goes beyond them.

Collins has completely blown in the last quarter of the last 4 games.
    In those games we are 0 - 4
    In those games we lost by a combined 16 points.
    In those games we have scored a total of 6 points, and no TDs.

You really think it isn't a QB issue?

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

^^Come on Gunny. Bironas missed a ~30yd field goal, we had one blocked in the Pitt game. We gave up 34 points in the Texans game .(we scored 31).

We muffed two punts and spotted the Jets 14 points.

Yes- Collins went 0-13 completions but he did hit WR's in the hands on multiple throws during that stretch.

So, yes I don't think the QB is the primary issue. I am confident those games wouldn't have even been within reach if Vince had been there reading the Jets (and other D's) at the line and making adjustments.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The Block and the miss FG were not in the final quarter, neither were the muffs.

They are all completely irrelevant because despite those issues we still only needed one score to force a win or a tie in all those games.

Collins has been put in a situation to win us the game and for 4 straight games he hasn't even gotten close.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If only the final 10 minutes of a game mattered, they'd play only 10 minutes.

You can't focus solely on just one part of the game because every snap plays a part in the outcome. Yes, Collins must play better but the Titans can't expect to continue with stupid mistakes and hope he, CJ or any other player can bring the team back late and win the game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

Why Jeff maybe hesitant

You know the more I think about it, the more I can see the predicament Jeff is in. If he starts Vince, and Vince plays well then Jeff was part of the decision base that helped piss away alot of Bud's money on a backup qb. If he starts and he is successful, then everyone goes back and says wow we could've one at least a couple of the first three. His judgement becomes suspect. On the other hand, if he starts Vince and he fails, then he is to blame for helping us lose and destroying what little confidence Kerry has right now. He really is in sort of a no win situation. The only way he makes this ok is by letting Kerry bury himself for a few more games and then he can make the move to Vince without worrying about Kerry because we can cut him at the end of the season. Between that move and letting Scaife go we should be good to go on finding a new qb to add. Whatever happened to Billy Volek?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar