For Those Trashing The OL....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by abc2330, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

Horrific? I'll take the winning seasons we've had over the 3 and 13 years all day. Horrific was Mett

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

So far, Marcus has been the worst kind of qb to have. The often unavailable mediocrity. Good enough to take you out of contention for a pick to replace him. Good enough to be the last team in the playoffs once in a while. But not good enough to win anything.

I mean, you swap Marcus out for about half the QBs in the league... Brady, Rodgers, rivers, brees, Stafford, luck, mahommes, Wilson, Ryan, wentz, roethlisburger, probably a few more... We are Instant contenders, and their teams are at best mediocre.

I hope the lovers are right, and it's been a combination of bad luck and circumstances that has held him back so far. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

But out of those other QBs listed how many have had 3 head coaches and 4 new offensive coordinator in only 4 seasons, leading to the 5th. Thats a lot to change.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Unless he's gonna beat out Lewis, the biggest thing for him is SPECIAL TEAMS. If he can't be a factor (be a starting special teams player) he won't make the team unless he's the #2 RB. Not enough active spots and then they'd try and put him on the PS.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

<yawn...>:deadhorse:

You said we got better athletes to replace Spain and Kline.

I said no, we got BETTER PLAYERS!!! Their athletic testing numbers PROVE I'm right. Your video ALSO proves I'M RIGHT!!! Saffold is a much BETTER PLAYER and one of the top OG's in the NFL! Nate Davis' athletic testing is quite below Kline's so...I wonder why we added Davis? No, I don't wonder. I KNOW! Because the Titans (and I...and most NFL people) think Davis is a better PLAYER?

The Titans got upgrades on the OL to help protect Mariota because that was ONE giant problem last year. Notice we got rid of Spain and Kline and replaced them with better players (though Davis may need some time). I know you constantly want to blame Mariota for everything...given your MANY posts making such crazy claims (our wr's can't be judge for years, nothing the OL does is the fault of the OL and it's our qb's responsibility to make incredibly athletic plays to get out of anything)...but unlike you, I think we should hold ALL of the players accountable for their own play. Clearly the Titans feel this way as they got rid of Spain and Kline, let Rak and Morgan go and have tried to give Mariota and the offense every opportunity this season giving him and the running game a better OL, Mariota more weapons in Humphries and Brown, and hopefully a healthy Walker and Smith. If Mariota and Conklin don't perform this year...they'll be looking for work next off-season too.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

<yawn...>

You like TRYING to put your words in other people's mouths instead of simply repeating what I said.

You said or repeated from an article, that we didn't get better players, we got better athletes....meaning the OL wasn't a problem last year and any replacements aren't because of a deficiency, just a difference in style of player. This is simply WRONG!

I showed you with FACTS that Saffold wasn't a better athlete than Spain and that Davis wasn't a better athlete than Kline. These are what we call FACTS!!!

I said that we got better PLAYERS because there were many problems on the OL from everyone not named Lewan and Kelly. We got rid of 50% of those problems, hope Conklin can bounce back (have Kelly as insurance) and hope Jones will play better with better OG's around him.

Your point adopted from that article is simply wrong. The Titans didn't want better athletes on the OL due to scheme, we wanted BETTER PLAYERS. Saffold is a clear example as he's one of the top OG's in the league. Davis is a far better player than Athlete as his testing proves.

As I mentioned previously - that went right over your head - players on the field can look faster because they are better players, play with better technique, reads, etc. I gave you the LB example where a lesser athlete can be a much better PLAYER ON THE FIELD! And yet, you show film to try and prove athleticism...not how good the player is?

:facepalm:

Repeating that 2+2=5 will be wrong no matter how many times you say it. Facts are facts. Try getting on the right side of them. The only opinion part is whether Saffold and Davis are upgrades over Spain and Kline. I say they are upgrades. What do you say?

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

This shows your 'problem.' You want to hold the QB accountable for failure by the OL! Guess you're not into holding everyone accountable for their own play, huh?

Watching film after a game, when the RT gets whipped on a play, coaches don't ignore that and go, qb - that's your job to avoid all pressures given up by the RT...you're making HIM look bad! LOL!!! No, the players screwing up get called out. Now...not every 'sack' is viewed the same. If Mariota 'felt' pressure that wasn't there, ran and got caught behind the line for a 'sack,' that's on HIM. When there's pressure, that's on each lineman, Mariota's movement in the pocket is on him, receivers getting open or not is on them. Notice we upgraded the OL and receivers. Clearly, the Titans disagree with your assessment!

LOL! Please define 'horrific' pocket awareness? I could see someone not having any...but how would they have horrific?

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

A couple of things to put in perspective. First, Mariota has played pretty well in our few playoff games. Secondly, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, and Brees are Hall of Fame qb's. You put them on any team and they will do well. Big Ben may be that too (we are gonna find out a lot without AB or Bell) and Mahomes just tied records for one of the best seasons so that's once in a long time type talent/season for a first season starter.

But one of the things to notice about most of these starters is they have weapons and are protected. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Mahomes, Ryan, Wentz, Ben have good OL's. Some have elite talent around the qb. Some have both.

Mariota has shown flashes, but hasn't had enough consistency for a variety of reasons. Some may be him, others may be changing HC's and OC's every year and others are what weapons he has (pass and run game) and how much he's been protected.

The Titans have done their best to give him every opportunity this season. Better OL =better protection. Henry should give us a better run game and fewer 3rd and 10's. Better receivers at #2 and #3 with hopefully healthy Walker and Smith back. Theoretically kept Smith to keep Mariota in the same system for once and incorporate more of Mariota's strengths into the playcalling.

You don't have to hold your breath. We'll do it and get in the playoffs and you'll have Mariota long term...or we won't and we'll have plenty of time to digest next year's qb's and hope we don't pick another bust!

9. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

Need to bring some sort of a vet in at least to knock Nate Davis' head down a peg (prevent fromthinking he's got RG locked)... if nothing else, more depth. Frankly, scared if Saffold goes down.

Sadly, the pickens are kinda slim..

Andy Levitre
    Mike Remmers
    Stefen Wisnewski

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I think they pencil in Pamphil at RG and Conklin at RT to start. Make Davis earn RG and make Conklin fight off Kelly (or move him to be in the mix at RG if he's not our best RT).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar