Fleetwood Mac vs The Clash CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Feb 28, 2016.

?

BAND WARS RD1: Fleetwood Mac vs The Clash

Poll closed Feb 29, 2016.
  1. Fleetwood Mac

60.0%
  2. The Clash

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crypta333

crypta333 Starter

I like all their stuff, but the earlier albums were better imo. Sadly that rings true with most bands though.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I'm actually a fan myself but I understand the limitations. FB_IMG_1456768578230.jpg

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. avvie

Saw the Behind The Mask tour...'91?... Christine did an excellent job of steering a rudderless ship while Stevie did an excellent job of acting like a self-important drug-addled cow who just takes the stage whenever she damn well pleases. Billy Burchette and Rick Vito stepped up to the mic and said "...you know, before all the hits came along Fleetwood Mac was a blues band, and we're...."but before he could finish LITERALLY half of the arena got up to hit the batbrooms. And I mean "literally" in the literal sense, as it will never ever ever mean "figuratively" no matter how many millinnials misuse it.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I never knew the Little Lies song was Fleetwood Mac. I remember that song from when I was really young. No idea that was them.

I'm guessing it wasn't Stevie singing most of the song. That's probably where I didn't catch that it was FM.

In retrospect, I can tell it was her on the repeat/echoing vocals.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I only realized it was them a few years back.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

the 80s did a number on a lot of bands, it seems like.

Chicago, Doobie Brothers especially. ultimate sell-out decade.

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

Yep. Wasn't it great?

8. avvie

Folks: Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham were only with FM for a short time. It was the most successful time, but short: 3 albums' worth. Stevie stuck around after Buckingham bolted. Christine McVie, however, was a founding member, being John McVie's wife and all. "McVie" is the "Mac" in "Fleetwood Mac". You can also hear Christine in former FM alumni Bob Welsh's 70's tune "Sentimental Winds".
    When Mick Fleetwood discovered Buckingham and Nicks, he only wanted Buckingham, who said "sorry, but my chick goes with me." Serendipitous decision.

#18 avvie, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. avvie

Dang, y'all done got me started...

First time FM gets noticed: 1969 with "Oh Well", a Peter Green riff. Buckingham plays this on the reunited tours in the 2000's.

You know that big Santana hit, "Black Magic Woman"? Yeah, that's actually another peter green/ Fleetwood Mac song. Santana is playing a cover tune.
    (There's a lot of celebs here, so I had the fortune of being able to play this tune in a band with Mick Fleetwood in the audience a few years ago. He was nice about it...cool because he's usually a bit of a dick).

Then Bob Welsh scores a minor hit fronting FM with "Hypnotized"...one of my fave FM songs, from the album "Mystery to me". When you hear Christine McVie performing backing vocals here, it's obvious that she becomes the only choice when Welsh leaves the band and goes solo.

It's only after Green and Welsh leave the band that the FM you know and love formed. Mick, John and Christine needed a guitar player, and Mick got introduced to Lindsay Buckingham after hearing their "Buckingham and Nicks" demo album. History ensues.

10. avvie

Also, one more thing only tangentially related:

There's a South Park episode called "Going Native", where Butters is sent to Hawaii for his "hapanoa". The joke that you, the viewer. wouldn't get is that all the places and events in that episode are real and are on the island of Kauai. Even Governor Lingle is in the buffet line at the luau. In particular is the place where the "locals" hold a meeting to discuss how to defend the island...there is a stage with fake rocks around it. This is at the Kilohana Plantation in Lihue, and is where I set up the stage for Mick Fleetwood's Island Rumours Band....imma try to find pics of it in a minute...Fleetwood charged us $65,000 for that show, and it wasn't very good. The band is made up of local talents and a lot of the show is performing Hawaiian falsetto standards and some FM covers. We never hired him again after that...I don"t know if they even still exist.

* can't find pics. FML.

#20 avvie, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar