Flat Screen TV Advice...

Discussion in 'Gear' started by GoTitans3801, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

.... which at 42" , 720p is all you'd need .... theoretically

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Good point.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

... every once in awhile ...

4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Puck is giving great advice, follow it. Also, be sure to buy your cables (HDMI, optical or coax if needed) from Monoprice.com. No, I don't have any financial investment in them, unless you count all the stuff I've bought from them. Solid quality at at more than affordable prices.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

HOWEVER...............

IF you decide to get a plasma, you SHOULD :

break it in
    - for the first 100 hours, do NOT play video games for an extended period of time ... and do NOT pause the game and walk away with the display ON
    -- be very careful watching programming that involves a scrolling ticker (ESPN, CNN, etc.)
    - loop color-rich / high-res content like Toy Story or Planet Earth (minus intro and ending credits) overnight for several nights ... to do so, begin the program .... (we are going to utilize the A-B repeat function) once all intro credits have rolled, click the A-B repeat button to set the "begin" mark ..... then continue to the end of the movie (just shy of the ending credits ... not sure if you can use FF to get there) then hit the A-B repeat button again to set the "end" mark ..... let it loop whlle you sleep
    - drop the contrast ratio off of 100 (not sure why this is ever a default setting)
    - turn whatever "image-retention" reduction setting to "ON"

a good rule of thumb might be to set ALL levels to 50%

Plasmas are very nice displays
    there are very few (if any, save for the higher-end Samsung / LG lcd's) that can mach the clarity and color accuracy
    and it's even more rare to find LCD's that can produce as deep of black levels without losing detail
    BUT, I would not take a chance of burning an image into the plasma
    the initial 100 hours are the most critical, as the phosphor is being "primed"

6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

These steps are NOT necessary in newer plasmas and they were only needed in select models of older plasmas. The rest of the advice is good.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, I don't play video games anymore, other than with friends, and I usually don't leave the tv on for long periods of time anyway, so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem. I don't see any harm in trying out the overnight looping thing though.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

that's what they say .......
    but why take a chance ?
    like I said, the first 100 hours are the most critical

I always prefer to keep my margins of error to a minimum :wink2:

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Exactly, not worth finding out.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it IS still possible to get burn-in with Plasma... regardless of production date

if they had it down, why would they still include pixel-shifting, image-retention reduction processes ? some even have a "wipe" function

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar