Fitzpatrick Should Be Cut And Bring In Better Backup Next Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I think we all are mostly in agreement that if Locker would've played all season we might've won two or three more games and most likely be in the postseason at 10-6 or 9-7.

I know i might be in the minority or maybe not but i think Fitzpatrick is a huge reason for this team having a losing season and falling short.Over and over i watched us be down in a one score game or even be tied and Fitzpatrick almost always committed a turnover that pretty much cost us games time and time again.

We could've beat Jacksonville at home if Fitzpatrick didn't give the Jags a TD with barely two minutes left to go in the game we lost by two points 29-27.

He threw at least three or four interceptions including a costly one in the end of a 22-14 loss at Indy in a game we should've won.

The interception at the end of the Arizona game we ended up losing 37-34 in OT.

I'd like to bring someone like McCown in Chicago he did very well coming in for Cutler without making dumb mistakes.I think we need to bring in someone who can be a solid game manager at backup and not commit costly turnovers when games are at stake.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

No no no, do NOT buy the Josh McCown stock, dude played vs some weak secondaries and is not good. Trust me on this, he's also 34 I believe and considering retiring. Do not want.

Dallas - 30th pass D
    Minnesota - 31st pass D
    Rams - 19th pass D
    Lions - 23rd pass D
    Packers - 24th pass D

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

People, people, people... We automatically assume that Locker would have bought us a few more wins?????

He was stinking it up in his last two games 3 INT, 0 TDs . It's not unheard of for a QB to start hot, then fizz out in the same season....

Plus.. It's not like Locker has ever stayed healthy. Counting these possible wins for Locker is moot.. simply because there is zero chance of him lasting a full season. He has not, and likely never will last a full season..

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I'm glad you brought that to my attention so maybe McCown not such a good idea.You are correct those are awful pass defenses.

What backups do you have in mind?

5. nickmsmith

Locker and Fitzpatrick are both fit backups. Neither are fit to be your starter for more than a few games at a time.

So basically.. IMO, one should go, one should stay, and a new QB should be brought in. No room for two legit backups.

Problem with having Locker as a backup.. You need a backup for your backup.

6. JCBRAVE

Tyler Wilson was not given a 3-year deal off the street for no reason. I believe he's our plan-B if you can believe that.

There's also no free agent QB's I'd touch. Might as well just keep Fitzpatrick if we're going to look to the free agents coming up, no one better than Fitz.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. nickmsmith

Yep. Free agent class is really weak.
    Fitzpatrick is a very fit backup plan, IMO. There are much worse out there. He plays well enough to keep us in close games. He's not clutch enough to be a fit long-time starter.. but he is trustworthy as much, or more than most backups.

He is a steady hand. Locker is feast or famine at the QB position.

8. JCBRAVE

I think Locker learned his lesson, and will stop pretending to be a RB. QB's can't take the hits he takes, he's got to ask Fitzy for some techniques on how to give himself up. Otherwise he'll never see 16 games.

9. nickmsmith

he is what he is, though. I don't think you can teach him to be something else. He is the kind of QB that takes off in times of trouble and scrambles. taking that away takes away a big percentage of what makes him a threat.

10. JCBRAVE

No Im not saying to stop him from taking off when the sh*t hits the fan, Im saying he simply needs to take a page from Fitz and learn to protect himself. Half the reason jake gets hurt is because he fights back.

How do you think Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chris Johnson never get hurt? They just surrender to defenders and live to play another play. Same for Peyton Manning, he would never try to break a tackle, he just goes down. Survival instincts are major at QB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar