Fisher getting cooked by ESPN writer Sal Paolantonio

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Heimerdinger got McNair to play at the height of his game. Heimerdinger made Volek look like a worldbeater when McNair was hurt. I guess Heimerdinger simply inherited a world class QB then too. :rolleyes: Heimerdinger consistently gets good production out of wide receivers, starting with Rod Smith back in the day. How many coaches churn UFA's into hall of famers (assuming that Rod Smith will be in the hall of fame some day, no reason he shouldn't be)??? Hell, look at our roster before he was our OC last time. There are damn good reasons many of us are excited about the Dinger taking over this offense.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

This '08 team is going to be really good. The offense is going to make a huge leap. I really can't wait. I think our Titans are going to shock some people. Then we can blame Fisher.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tide tide tide....

According to you (and Mr. Paolantonio)...an avg coach could do what Fisher has done. Please list all the mediocre coaches who have developed an MVP at QB (or any other position), another star player who carried the team (ala Eddie), had a top 2 defense, and appeared in a SB and was competitive.

Please give me the the exhaustive list of HC's over the last 13 years (can only use one team (easy since any mediocre coach can do it) since Fisher had to rebuild the team twice.)....

I'll venture that your list will be less than 10 names and quite possibly around 5 (though I haven't looked it up).

Hardly an AVERAGE #. And your argument that Fisher had 'talented' players is null and void. Most teams have picked in the mid-high 1st rnd over the last 13 years...so every team has had the same chance to create a star player like Eddie George (a mid 1st rnd pick) and an MVP in McNair (high 1st rnd). And certainly getting to the Super Bowl is easy enough, right?

An interesting assessment considering it's been said in the NFL that THAT is how you SHOULD develop a QB if given the chance (most teams just throw them into the fire). What do you think they did wrong?

Since most coaches have not developed an MVP nor taken a team to the super bowl, you're analysis (and that of Paolantonio) that what he's done is mediocre (or average) and flawed at best and more accurately - incorrect.

And if your opinion is based on winning percentage, perhaps you can explain why Schottenheimer was forced out of SD? Furthermore, you'd need to compare Fisher to a coach who has had to rebuild a team twice since this will obviosly negatively affect his winning percentage til that team starts winning again (as mentioned before, 5 years from now Sal may be singing a different tune just as he would have if he had wrote about Fisher after the Super Bowl season).

The only coach I'm aware of who has turned around more teams and done it faster is Parcells who turned around the Giants(won 2 SB's), Patriots(lost a SB), Jets (AFC Championship game) and Cowboys (playoffs). Even Belicheck couldn't turn around his first Browns team but did build NE into a perennial power - once.

Gut

4. Them T-boyz

Them T-boyz Camp Fodder

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Them T-boyz
    Sal Pal whatever his name is, is an idiot! what he fails to mention in that 13 years is that we didn't have a home stadium for 3 years of coach fishers tenure also another 2 years in houston they were booed and nobody attended.

My point being is that if you add those five years then fisher has only had 1 losing season and 5 playoff seasons and two 8 and 8 seasons! sounds like a good coach to me??

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

The "experts" strike again. Do the Titans have a target on them we don't know about?:irked:

6. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Hmm.
    I've been saying the same thing as this guy just said for over 4 years.
    Fisher is WAY overrated and as i've stated in several threads i started here on Gotitans as long as he's the coach we,ll never win it all. He's mediocre PERIOD

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't know where you got that he only had one losing season since the team ended up in Nashville. 2001, 2004, and 2005 were all losing seasons.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Built NE into a perennial power-once? I dont get that statement. NE has been the league standard for the last 7 years, making the playoffs 6 times, 4 conference championships, and 3 superbowl titles. Fisher and the Titans have not made the playoffs more than 2 consecutive seasons at any point. Are you seriously trying to argue that sustaining a level of being a top tier team is somehow less impressive than having a two year playoff run, and then having to rebuild and reshape your team? I like Fisher and certainly think he is a good coach. But he is not Parcells, Bellichick, or even Dungy.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

First off, I do think Belicheck and Parcells and better coaches. Parcells is arguably the master at turning around a team and FAST! Belicheck is the ultimate study in being smart, demanding accountability, controlling the whole show, and getting exactly what you want and making it work beautifully. Did I mention ruthless?

These guys are the top of the game no if's and's or but's.

While you are correct the Titans haven't had more than 2 back to back years due to '01 (they were in '99, 2000, 2002, 2003), they were as good a team as the AFC during that run. I didn't agree with Floyd (and Fisher to some extent) mortgaging the future with the cap cuz I think we could have had a longer run and been more successful. I don't think we were anywhere near as saavy as the Pats were and still are now...but most of that responsibility falls to FR.

And my point about Belicheck having done it once is, that them being equal coaches (they aren't, but for the point), his win percentage should be higher since he only had to build the Browns from scratch and comparatively, Fisher built his first team into a Super Bowl contender under very adverse conditions. Not even Belicheck did that.

Secondly, if you wrote an article on Belicheck after his seasons with the Browns, you wouldn't be thinking he's a Hall of Fame coach. Even after following Bill to the Pats and Jets as a defensive coach, did anyone know he'd be a Hall of Fame head coach? Nope. But after figuring out his team, the way he wants to play, the cap and drafting strategies...he's got a perfect (except spygate) machine running. The Pats ARE the Gold Standard in the NFL as how you draft, run your cap, scheme offense and defense, and win SB's! So again, when in their career you write these articles will drastically change how a coach is viewed. Was Belicheck viewed as a better coach than Fisher after 2003? As the BEST coach in the NFL?

Lastly, the point is that Fisher is not an avg coach. He's done things not even some of the best coaches in history have done. That does NOT mean he's a better coach than they are, just that he has accomplished quite a bit and far beyond the 'avg' NFL coach.

If he can win a SB, he'll be viewed like Dungy is now...maybe better since Dungy was handed a dominant offense and one of the best QB's in NFL history. What was Fisher handed?

Fisher is not the best coach in the NFL nor close to it. He has flaws..but so do most coaches including Belicheck and Parcells (though not as many). However, he is a good coach. How good will be judged when his career ends. If he can take this team all the way and go out on top...Sal will be singing a different tune. If this team nose dives the next few years and Fisher gets fired...his rep will be much worse than it is now.

Gut

10. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

fisher is in my opinion one of the best coaches in the league, this is obserd paolantonio is a fkn retard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar