Fisher for Coach of the Year?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattPan25

MattPan25 Guest

everything being said i do agree that we would have won the first 2 games if volek was in cause kollins looked and played like a robot. but we have vy now so who really cares right?

:dead:

2. So when you say I'm wrong, what you really mean is "I agree with you". I'm gonna need a roltide-to-english dictionary...

Yes, let's do remember. In fact, I think that we should remember that they didn't sign Kerry Collins until after Volek's meltdown.

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

I think the award goes to Sean Payton from the Saints or Mangini from the Jets

4. Because Volek was a short term solution. He knew the offense. He knew the players. And he was already there. There was no need to go out and sign a new starting QB who would have wanted a longterm deal.

I shall have to consult that dictionary... hmmm... Ah... thank you...

It's quite convenient that you should include the 14th game that year since that was one of his "big 3" games that year.

Let me make this clear, even for you. Volek had 3 huge games consecutively while throwing deep balls to Drew Bennett against 3 of the league's worst defenses (Indy, KC, and Oakland). In those 3 games, he combined to throw for 90-138, 1187 yards, 11 TDs and 3 INTs. Pretty amazing numbers.

As for the last 2 games that year, they played against the Broncos (a good defense) and the Lions (a bad D). Both teams knew that Volek's MO was to throw deep, so they kept their safeties back to stop it. The result? A combined 24-48 passing for 286 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INTs. Kind of a major difference, eh? Hell, if I throw in his only 2005 start against Arizona (another bad D), his last 3 starts went for just 42-80, 484 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs.

The Super-Volek that we saw in 2004 was a mirage. Once defenses caught on to his 1 trick act, that was that.

And I was still fine starting him until Vince was ready. So were the Titans because they knew they were just a rebuilding team. No one had any real thoughts of making the playoffs. But then Volek went off on Chow, Fisher heard it, and Volek was done as a Titan.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starkiller..

I did NOT include the 14th game from 2004. Did NOT! I gave you his stats SINCE the 14th game. And volek did not play badly at all in the lions game. you are trying to cherry pick between starts and other appearences i just laid our ALL his stats.

If volek sucked so bad why wouldn't this team and this coach want to replace him? If it was so apparent that he had been exposed as a one trick act why was he not traded long before camp began? We could have been done with him long before camp and replaced him with fisher's boy collins. Collins was available all along.

Ether way the end result is that we had the worst possible situation a bad QB who was rusty and unprepared.

6. OK then, I stand corrected on what stats you quoted. But that doesn't change the stats I posted. And it doesn't change anything about what happened this year. Nor does it change the fact that Volek was nothing but a patch job at QB until they felt Young was ready.

And all through the offseason I said there was no reason to bring in Collins as a starter. I was all for using Volek as the starter, even if they were going to sign Collins as the backup for veteran depth. The problem was Volek's mouth screwing things up...

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

And if a coach called you out in front of the entire team and blamed a loss on you when the teams itself was playing miserable you would have sat there and took it? I don't think so. Let's look at the stats for that game and see if Volek was the reason we lost.

Atlanta Passing
    C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

M. Vick 7/14 48 3.4 1 0

M. Schaub 4/8 25 3.1 0 0

Team 14/28 115 4.1 1 0

Tennessee Passing
    C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

B. Volek 14/22 141 6.4 0 0

V. Young 6/10 96 9.6 0 1

Team 21/33 239 7.2 0 1

Atlanta Rushing
    CAR YDS AVG TD LG

M. Jackson 18 95 5.3 0 14

J. Norwood 9 104 11.6 1 62

W. Dunn 5 11 2.2 0 6

M. Vick 3 34 11.3 0 13

J. Griffith 3 12 4.0 0 10

Team 42 262 6.2 1 62

Tennessee Rushing
    CAR YDS AVG TD LG

L. White 8 15 1.9 0 4

T. Henry 7 18 2.6 0 7

V. Young 2 14 7.0 0 7

C. Brown 1 2 2.0 0 2

Team 19 54 2.8 0 7

8. I wouldn't have gone off like Volek did, that's for damned sure...

As for who was the reason they lost a meaningless preseason game, who cares? The fact of the matter was that Volek had done nothing all preseason. The defense's problems were not related.

9. TWR#1

TWR#1 Guest

haha Fisher got 1 vote!! thats just 1/44 of Sean Paytons!
    Almost had it

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Obviously Chow did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar