Fisher for Coach of the Year?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I thought about this and figured, where else to discuss it but here?
    Anyway...
    2 weeks ago I had heard and saw many people wanting Jeff Fisher to win the Coach of the Year award. I understand why, after 6 wins in a row against good teams and the (now dead) hopes of making the playoffs after a 0-5 start.
    The problem is - when you look back, Fisher hasn't outcoached very many teams, and our 0-5 start falls almost directly on his shoulders.
    There was good reason for 'fire fisher' websites to be a short trend. And here are a few reasons:

Kerry Collins: This was Fisher's man. I myself was set against drafting Vince Young. I thought he was a bad pick, and I thought he would take 2 years to see the field and be decent. UNTIL Kerry Collins was signed. Then, having common sense I figured 'hey, why not start vince? He can't possibly be worse than Kerry Collins will be'.
    Kerry came. Kerry sucked. Fisher denied it for far too long. Fisher continued to make excuses for Collins every post game and after the infamous 1.3 qb rating he actually said "he's improving".
    Had Bud Adams not stepped in, Collins would've probably played atleast 2 more weeks and then there is never any hope of playoffs. So for one thing - thank Adams for that.

Billy Volek: He may not be your favorite. He may not be a pro-bowler, but one thing he certainly was - better than Kerry Collins. But, it was Fisher's personal beef that sent Volek packing. Some unknown "lie" Volek had told. I'm sure it was far worse than stomping someone's face in with cleats or the problems pacman continuously runs into. (i'm a pacman fan and have been from the start, but just to make the point)
    He knew the playbook. He knew the receivers. If they were going to release him, they should have done it BEFORE preseason, not after. A bonehead move all around.

Jim Schwartz: Everyone knows Jim Schwarz is a horrible, and I mean horrible offensive coordinator, correct? No. Actually, everyone but one person knows that Schwartz is a horrible coordinator. That one person that supports Jim is none other than our Coach of the Year: Jeff Fisher.
    He'll never put blame on the coaching staff. You'll never hear it. Talent is not an issue. There are 32 teams in the league and our defense is ranked dead last. You mean to tell me that a defense with Kyle Vanden Bosch, Keith Bulluck, David Thornton, Chris Hope, and Pacman Jones has talent issues? Surely there are coordinators that'd love to switch positions and have those playmakers on their squad.
    Talent has been the lingering excuse for this guy, and it's just not working anymore. Great coaches can take mediocre talent and make it successful. Look at the Patriots for instance.

Reynaldo Hill/Lamont Thompson: 3 better backups behind them. Do they ever see the field? Not without injury. There was one game where Reynaldo Hill was hurt, and Courtland Finnegan played the position much better. He didn't repeatedly get burned by the same route all game and he actually looked for the ball on occasion. Isn't this guy a rookie?
    Problem is, Hill reached his peak in his rookie season. We all thought, hey - this guy is great for a rookie. But what happened? He stayed at that level 'great for a rookie' (a tag he only got due to interceptions).
    Lamont Thompson isn't as bad at his spot as Reynaldo is, but he's still bad. The only time you see Thompson on a pass play he's chasing a receiver as the wind from their soon to be touchdown run blows his pretty locks around like a willow tree during a tornado.

Would I rather have another coach? No. Not at the moment. I think Fisher is great in certain aspects and has very big problems in others. He's always been a 'favorites' coach. A guy can play badly, but if Fisher likes him or gets along with him, he'll stay in the game.
    He also plays too conservative at bad times. Baltimore Ravens game, anyone? Up 26-7 at halftime to end up losing by 1 point? I'm sorry, in no language is that great coaching. That's the exact opposite of such.

I'm glad he's staying, but he is not a top 3 coach in the nfl. It'd be pushing it to have him in the top 5 this season.
    In summary, one of the glaring reasons we did not make playoffs is: Coaching.

2. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

If you've been watching the streak that we had, you would see that Fisher has been coaching circles around the other coaches. Besides yesterday's game against the Patriots, Fisher has been putting on a coaching clinic the second half of the season. Just ask Tony Dungy, he made him look like a high school coach by sending out Craig Hentrich and forcing Dungy to call a timeout. And by the way bro... Jim Schwartz is the defensive coordinator.

3. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

You make a few good points for discussion, but are wrong about the Volek comment. Thanks for contributing and welcome to the site.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I thought is was Fisher's personal pride that was getting in our way when he refused to start Volek. Such that he ought to be fired over it. And his refusal to understand that Collins was not ready, really hurt us. It took Bulluck to talk him into starting Young. And I thought at that point, he was willing to buy into the team concept, and put his ego in the back seat. That was huge. Few coaches can do that. So I respect that. But he dug his own hole. So I don't look at him as coach of the year. I look at him as a coach who was willing to listen to everybody else who was way ahead of 'em. I'm glad he got there. And then he could start coaching again. But he dug that hole, so I can't give him coach of the year.

5. Deuce Wayne

I think we established that he's the defensive coordinator. The problem is, Fisher will never fire him.
    Coaching circles? Let's see how our last half of the season ended, shall we?

Philly Eagles - Okay, we manhandled them. Looked as if we exposed their weaknesses and countered their strongpoints.
    NY Giants - we were manhandled the entire game up until the 4th. In which coaching had absolutely nothing to do with the win and luck had everything to do with it. Not that I mind luck...
    Indy Colts - Yeah, Jeff Fisher was planning on a 60 yard fieldgoal to win this game. Right? The stats are equal down the board, and the only thing we really did was show every team with a good running game that they can beat the colts too. Didn't the Texans beat them aswell? Miracle plays do not equate to good coaching.
    Texans - we were actually taken to overtime by the texans. And another miracle play bails us out.
    jaguars - a game where nothing went right on offense and our 32nd ranked defense bailed us out. Actually, Gerrard bailed us out more than anyone else. And their offense still moved the ball well, they just turned it over too many times. The Jaguars had 23 first downs to our 5. 396 yards to our 98. So, where was the coaching?
    Buffalo Bills - I'll give that one to coaching. It was a balanced game.

So basically, only one game was won in typical fashion. The other games could've been considered flukes if it were any team but our own.

6. Deuce Wayne

sorry el-double-post-o.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

sean payton will easily win Coach of the Year.. especially if they go deep in the superweak NFC playoff picture

8. maximus

maximus Starter

Fisher will get consideration, but Peyton will win it because of the media's love affair with the city of New Orleans and their "comeback" story

9. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Any coach who can take what looked like the worst team to ever step on a football field, hold it together and finish .500 after an 0-5 start deserves some credit. Did he alone coach us to this record? No, but he did keep the ship from sinking, and when the water was halfway up the mast, that is pretty impressive.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Maybe if Fisher "coached" us to a win over the Pats and a playoff berth he might get mentioned. He was terribly out coached in the last game and the fact we started out 0-5 is as much his fault as well. Payton not only got his team to the playoffs, a team as bad as we were last year but they also get a first round bye and have a realistic shot at a SB appearence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar