Fisher Feels Titans Offense Will Improve in Chow's Second Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I agree with not enough talent being there, but I still think we were too loopsided to the TE's regardless of the WR talent. That may not have been all Chow though, may have been part of Steve's decisions. It sure seemed that way some times.

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

maybe well see more of this....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJJZyoHAhLk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJJZyoHAhLk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I have a question. Going into last year a lot of people put Hartwig on some pedestal as being very good. While Mawae used to be an all-pro, the Jets let him go even though they need help on the OL. Will Mawae play that much better than Hartwig (or stay healthy enough to do so)?

Roos may have improved, but will that translate to LT this year?

If you think about it, the only new players on the OL are Mawae and whomever wins the RT battle.

So where is this vastly improved OL?

I'm not sure we can COUNT on the OL being that much better unless Mawae reverts back to Pro-Bowl form and Roos takes to LT like a Duck to a pond.

And that's not counting our loss our predicted loss of McNair.

Pehrpa Schwartz can read a book on defense or just copy Gregg Williams' playbook and get the defense straightened out. A stout top 10 defense will fix a LOT of offensive problems!

Gut

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

This year was the first year Mawae missed any time with injury. Before this season he had some sort of record for consecutive starts. And along with talent, Mawae brings an experienced leader to this O-Line, something that was missing last year.

As for RT, Stewart or Bell may come in and play better than Hopkins did last year. We really don't know how good Stewart is. For all we know, he may be a future perennial Pro Bowler. The FO obviously have some faith in Stewart, Bell, and Loper, as they haven't added any additional lineman this offseason.

In any case, the line can't be any worse than it was last year.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Anyone have any of Ty's highlights from 03?

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

If Volek proves himself well, you folks have a long way to swim to kiss my butt. :kiss:

--Avvie "this Kool-Aid tastes like crap" Hughes

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Piller and Olsen should NOT be guaranteed a starting spot going into camp. The interior, with Hartwig, last season was way to casual about everything, Hartwig was in no hurry to get to the los, just trotting up to the line will give the QB 5 or so extra seconds to read the D pre snap. I believe Mawe is supposed to be high energy, I hope Piller and Olsen catch some of that energy also.

Then there is the auto upgrade at LT, Roos will be an improvement over Hopkins there is no doubt about it. That is a complete rip on Hopkins though. RT could be a problem, but at this time I think the options there will be at least as effective as a rookie Roos was, possible better.

So the way I see it Mawe will hopefully be able to refocus Piller and Olsen plus be an upgrade on Justin "Not another NT" Hartwig, Roos will easily be better than Hopkins and RT probably will be improved just cause Roos was a rookie playing out of position.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Either you didn't think much of Roos last year, or you think very highly of two guys we haven't seen play the position. I thought Roos may have been our best lineman last year.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

No just saying Roos was a rookie playing a new position therefore he was not being allowed to play to his strengths. I guess what I am saying is I hope the competition for the RT spot makes the winner at least as good as a rookie Roos playing out of position.

I agree his play was consistently good, and that is more than could be said for the other 4 OL positions. I hope to see more good things when he moves to his "natural" position of LT.

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I thought Bell was our best OLINE in 2004. He is so much quicker than Olson and Pillar that he was able to get to the 2nd level and screen off the LBs which allowed Brown the cut back lanes. Bell should be given the chance to win a starting spot from Pillar or Olson. Bell's strength is his footwork and we could certainly use some improvement in that area from our guards.

Regarding Hartwig, I always thought he was over rated. It was amazing in re-watching games how many times he just got shoved back into the backfield to blow up the running play. He plays with his pads too high which causes him to lose the leverage battle which is the key to getting any sort of push. If he ever had a guy lined up over him you knew he was going to get blown up.

Mawae is a special player. Not many centers can pull the way that he can. That will be a huge benfit in running delays to Brown or if we design any automatic runs for VY out of the shotgun.

In my mind our OLINE only has one way to go which is up after last yrs miserable performance.

I really want our starters to be Roos, Olson, Mawae, Bell, Stewart. This gives us power blockers in Olson and Stewart and 2 good pulling interior guys in Bell and Mawae.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar