Fisher and Titans Agree to Extension

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by leefrone, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

There are only a handful of teams who have kept on winning & avoided cap hell. Coaches like Dungy & Belichick have had the benefit of some fantastic General Managers.

There's only so much a coach can do when the salary cap bites. Here is an interesting read on the Colts GM Bill Polian that was posted over at ColtsFreaks.http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/monthly/article.asp?articleID=22

We've followed the traditional mold of how to build a winning team & many fail at that. Fisher is a very good coach & at the times when fans have been calling for his head a HC change would have set us back further as a new guy makes a team his own.

I'm looking forward to seeing how good we can really be in Fishers next 4 years. Reinfeldt seems like an upgrade over Reese to me. Reese had some good drafts but cap management wasn't his forte. I hope we follow Polian's route.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Of course i can prove it..

Fisher wasn't the coach of the 8-8 oilers in 1998?

Fisher wasn't the coach of the 2002 team that started the year 1-4?

Fisher wasn't the coach of the team that went 0-5?

He gets all the credit when things go well but little blame when they go poorly. Look at the board today nobody remembers the 9-27 run we had just the 9-4 record in the last 13 games..

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Childress, i'm not knocking fisher for having 4 losing seasons out of 12 i'm knocking him for only having 4 winning seasons out of 12. I understand that there have been times when the players simply were not there due to cap losses and or injury but when he has an average group of players to work with his results are average which makes him average..

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

What are you talking about little of the blame? Bud Adams pretty much said if he didn't improve he was going to be fired after the 1 - 4 start.

And you cannot prove that he is coaching a team better or worse than their talent level. It simply cannot be correlated only guessed.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny, i'm talking about the posters on this board not bud adams. Bud adams' comments proves my point and he was right. I'm responding to the things people here say. Look at the post by moose. He writes as if jeff fisher took over an 8-8 team from some other coach and through superior coaching took the same talent and jacked them up to 13-3..

Have you been paying attention? Read what some posters have been saying here..

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Your right but how many long tenure coaches actually have better records.

Shanahan,Dungy,Holmgren,Cowher,Belichick.

There's a lot to be said for stability at the HC position.

The Chargers are on paper one of the best teams in the league but Norv Turner sucks as a HC. That change has doomed them & closed their window. They'll have a new HC next year with a new plan.

Fisher has his flaws but stats don't always show the full picture. According to the stats 2004 was a 5-11 season & we sucked. That year I thought Fisher did a great job. I remember it as the year we had a record number of injuries & at times we couldn't even suit up 53 guys.

Fisher kept them playing hard & we went down fighting in every game. It was a losing season but I was proud of the team. The Colts game when we knew we had no chance but Fisher threw in two onside kicks in the 1st half was gutsy & kept us in the game longer than we had any right to be.

I know there are better coaches out there but there aren't many.

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Very well said. :thumb:

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Childress, there are times when injuries and the loss of key players to the cap make it impossible for any coach to win. There are maybe 4 such seasons in jeff fisher's career. His first season in 95, 01, 04 and 05. And while you consider a couple of onsides kicks in a meaningless game we were given no chance of winning courage. I think desperate was the better explanation. And fine if you were proud of that 04 team but are you equally proud of the 05 team that laid down and played below their talent?

The seasons that define fisher to me are 96-97-98-06 when he had average talent and accomplished nothing more than that on the field. Take away the emotion and just think clearly. Fisher has never had to win with a poor QB and for most of his career he had a thousand yard RB. The same QB fisher had in 95 and 96 went to the pro bowl for dan reeves in 97 and 98 and to the super bowl in 98. He had mcnair for 9 seasons and now has vince.

we could have gone to the post season last year had we not started 0-5. I'm not sure i would say those were 5 well coached games..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How does fisher stack up against these guys?

Jim fassel? His winning percentage is almost identical to fisher's. His greatest accomplishment a super bowl loss equals fishers..

Dennis green? Has a better winning percentage than fisher, (54% vs 53%) a higher percentage of playoff appearences and won 2 more games in a season than fisher ever did..15-1 in 98..

Wade Phillips? Better winning percentage 56%..

Andy reid has a better winning percentage than fisher 61.5%. so does brian billick 58%.

Tom coughlin, john fox and jack del rio have similar winning percentages.

Looking at this you may now know what i mean by tier 2. I bet quite a few of you guys would say that list sucks.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Want more?

Marty shottenheimer 62% winning % vs fisher's 53%..

Jim mora sr. 54% winning %..

Mike martz 61%

Ray sherman 59%..

steve mariucci has a 52% winning %..

Ready for this? art shell has a 52% winning percentage. Jeff fisher is 1% better than art shell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar