Fisher and his 'Keep it Close Mentality'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rock8titans, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toly

Toly Free your mind

That's nice but the Titans simply don't have a good defense this year.

The Colts scored 24 points in the first half.

There is no debate, the Titans needed to score TDs not FGs.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Our defense has been a lot better once we got healthy. A defense that gave up 33 points a game in our losing streak had given up just 18 a game in the winning streak. We only gave up 17 against one of the league's most potent passing attacks in Arizona.

You can't argue against my position we only gave up 3 points the rest of that game and we needed those 6 points.

Dealing with theory of what might have happened doesn't compete with the facts. If fisher thought we could not stop them then we might as well packed it up and gone home. We had no choice but to stop them in the 2nd half and damn it we did!

When we got the ball for that final drive the score could have been 27-23 with a shot at winning it not desperation time down by 10.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Fishers 2010 Titans haven't played much different when they've had a lead.

Fisher will always go conservative too soon when protecting a lead. With the right Defence though it works. We broke our opponents with opportunistic defence when Hood was in for Harper.

Since Harpers return our defence has not been in a position to make plays. With Harper there's no read in our read and react. Last year our front four was disruptive enough to give Harper a chance to use his experience to make plays.

Without a consistent push from our interior line WR's have time to make moves on Harper and expose his lack of speed.

When we're playing to get a lead though Fisher has been much more gutsy in his calls if not more creative.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

When Warner plays yes, not so much with Leinart.

Yes I can, because even with those 6 points we still lose 27-23...
    The facts show that the FG's would not be enough, even with them we needed an additional 2 TD's to win and we only got one.

Would taking the 2 FG's have made it a closer game? If applied directly to the actual outcome yes. But if you're going to argue that we then had a better chance to score the winning the TD, you also have to accept there's an equal chance that the Colts score additional points.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What the hell is so hard to understand? Would you rather have the ball at the end of the game down 27-17 or 27-23? On our last possession we were in desperation mode and the colts had DBs standing 30 yards deep. If we kick the Fgs we are driving for the win.

The league average for 4th down conversions is around 50%. Rob Bironas' average inside of 30 yards is 100% the last 2 years and he has not missed a FG inside of 30 pr an extra point since 2005.

6. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

How would i know that you dont know the history of your team? You gotta be kidding me!!! You posted that crap about how going for it on fourth down is stuff down when you are coaching at Florida Atlantic yet your own team went for it on every single fourth down in that same position last year! And last i checked we werent playing florida Atlantic now were we? Last i checked we managed to rack up a 13-0 record that particular year!

You sir exposed your own ignorance with that statement and now you are asking me how i know you are ignorant about this teams history?

I could careless how long you have been posting on this forum. Get it out of your head that your longetivity here equates to actual knowledge of you team. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Regarding your suggestion that i ask some one else about your logical thinking, that in it of itself is a bone headed illogical suggestion! People should be able to discern that for themselves by just reading your posts and judging you from the comments you make. I dont need second hand information to judge your logical thought process (or lack there of) when i have your own written word to prove that you are very weak in that aspect.

(Your instance on the 6 points given up in that series of possessions is a great indication that your logical thought process is so severely flawed that even after several people have explained to you the hole in your thought process you continue repeat the same fundamentally flawed argument) Bro i have 10 year old nephew who already understands this simple concept! Yet you cant!

7. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

This is exactly what i am saying. Your posts the logic of a 5 year old kid!
    You actually think thats how they would play us with a 4 point lead?

JEEZ!!!! Goodness gracious i think you are beyond help!:gag:

8. Nine

Nine Starter

Personally, I didn't like the playcalling inside the five-yard line at all. Not that they were bad plays....well not all of them, anyway....but even as I watched them unfold, it felt as if they were trying to finesse their way into the end zone, instead of just powering it in.

To me, that's a situation where you just hand it off to Lendale 3-4 times in a row. Say what you will about the guy, his track record in those situations is absolutely stellar. In the past two years, I can't recall a single instance where he failed to get into the endzone from inside the five yard line. It might take 3-4 attempts, and he might get stonewalled once or twice....but within four plays, you've got six points on the board.

This approach also would have made a statement, stating very clearly "we're going to punch you in the mouth....and you can't stop it." But instead, they tried to get cute....and instead of changing the tempo of the game, they actually contributed to the Colts' momentum. Twice.

As far as the FG argument goes....it's completely hollow. Had they taken the FG's and still come up short, you'd be screaming because Fisher settled for three and saying "You can't beat the Colts with field goals!"

The defense had given up 24 points in the first half, and allowed a number of long drives in the process, as Peyton converted one third down after another. The defense couldn't get off the field; why on earth would Fisher give them a vote of confidence?

You're arguing that going for it on fourth down showed a lack of confidence in the defense. But the truth is, kicking FG's from inside the five would have shown an even greater lack of confidence in the offense. Mind you, this is an offense that put up more yards and more first downs than the Colts' offense, and moved the ball very effectively for most of the game. Aside from the turnovers and terrible goal-line performance, the offense was pretty darned good overall.

So who was more deserving of Fisher's confidence: the offense that was playing fairly well, or the defense that wasn't?

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

WTF are you talking about? Where do you get that? We were not even in that situation very often last year. Prove to me with FACTS that we "went for it" on 4th down every time last year. The titans had 11 4th down plays all last year. You are making that up.

Titans 4th down conversion stats:

2007-2-11
    2008-5-11
    2009-6-16(6-14 going into the game.)

So our 4th down conversion rate the previous 3 years going into that game was just 33%. 13/38! And just 2/11 the last full season VY was our QB.

In that same period of time our kicker had not missed a single PAT or short FG.

I would have gone with the percentages.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Because he had no choice! If we can't stop them we lose anyway!

The colts did not score a point in the 2nd half until there was 3:18 left in the damn game! We did stop them!

I'm sick of this moronic speculation about how the coach would think. That is what happened!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar