FIRE MUNCHAK (ongoing)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Astrophysics, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

The Tejas thing was not that big a deal. The Oilers fans did not rally around the team the way the Browns fans did for example. He did not handle the move to Nashville well. But eventually got it right. There have been plenty of owners far worse than Bud.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Sure, all owners who move their team are hated in their former cities, though. like the Irsays in Baltimore.

Seems like Houston just stopped caring because they knew they were out the door soon.

But I just think Adams was a big enough character to warrant a little big time news when he died.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. The Hammer

Really? Very cool! That was an amazing year. Then the crash. One of the biggest ever. Tied for best regular season record one year then dead last the next year. Did not ever get the first overall pick since that was the year the Panthers and Jag Rags joined the league. Still got the guy they wanted at number 3 -- Steve McNair.

4. The Hammer

Oh I agree. Dude owner the team since 1960. Started the AFL. I think part of the reason is Bud was fairly media shy. He did not draw too much attention to himself for the most part. Which made the middle finger incident even more funny. Some owners, like Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft, have never seen a microphone and camera they did not want to jump in front of. Bud was actually really low key.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Hi-five for the last part.

Reality is (well what seems most realistic) is that Bud was going to stick with Fisher over Vince Young. But I think when Fisher extended some contracts without really checking first with Bud, the decision was made to let him go. Since it was a late firing I think that is why the competition was not really open.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The late firing excuse is kinda BS though. I mean, sure it impacted things. But it's ludicrous to act as if there weren't better candidates out there than Mike Munchak. We could have went after ANY coordinator in the league. Practically ANY "hot" college coach. But we rolled with an in-house position coach.

We did 3 in-house interviews, and only 2 out-of-house ones. One of which was just to satisfy the Rooney Rule. One of Bud's biggest faults was his loyalty (to a fault) and his insistence on having "his guy". We don't have to act as if Bud didn't have faults and didn't make mistakes just because he died.

He totally blew the post-Fisher HC search. No doubt about it. Doesn't make him a bad man. Doesn't make him an idiot. Doesn't mean he didn't care about winning. But for pete's sake, let's call a spade a spade here.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Honestly, the more I think about it I don't think Bud even really believed Munch was the best man for the job. I think it's more likely that he just believed in what Fisher was doing and thought that by handing the team off to one of Fisher's cronies we would stay on track and could get to where we needed to get without completely blowing the thing up.

I think it was a desperation play, plain and simple. Bud knew he likely didn't have many years left and therefore knew he didn't have the time to wait around on a complete rebuild. He took a gamble. It just didn't pay off. Nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't change the fact that it was the wrong the move in retrospect.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I posted this to facebook yesterday so sorry to anyone seeing it twice - but just after Moreno's TD they panned over to Munchak who slightly mumbled something akin to "oh darn - good try though boys". Does he take the team out for pizza after a loss.
    I'm not saying a coach has to freak out Singletary style - but good god man - emotionally show your players that opposing scores is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I felt like TN needed to be up by 35pts rather than 11 to ward off the inevitable turnaround that always happens to this team.

Teams are adjusting to TN as the game goes on. TN shows no propensity to do the same.
    Nothing new and THAT is on the HC.
    FIRE HIM NOW.
    Give someone on staff (Williams etc) a dressed rehearsal and establish as a new owner that mediocrity isn't acceptable.

Good lord, The Colts are the only team in the NFL to wrap up a div? W T F!

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

and the funny thing is that the Colts are a joke of a team. They have absolutely collapsed since Reggie Wayne got hurt, but still, everyone in the AFCS is so pathetic that nobody can give them a real challenge for the crown.

This division is so horrible.

10. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

@jwyattsports: Mike Munchak: “We are headed in the right direction as much as it doesn’t seem that way at times, & you can make a leap fast.” #Titans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar