Favorite Scene from Star Wars 4 - A New Hope

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 24, 2007.

?
  1. Leiah and Luke swing across the chasm to platform

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Trash Compactor

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Luke finds out his aunt and uncle are dead - gets light saber

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. "I don't know kid. Do you think the Princess and a guy like me..?" "NO"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lightsaber: Obi Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Han Solo meets Greedo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Darth Vader Entrance

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. DeathStar Trench Run by X-wing (s)

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  9. Han Solor chases Storm Troopers, dead end, then they chase him

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Darth Vader Chokes officer

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Damn skippy! Until he'll finally released the original versions of the first trilogy this past year I refused to buy any of the films on DVD. That might not seem like a big deal, but I'm a huge fan of film and have a fairly large DVD library. The fact that I was twelve when the original came out makes it quite the nostalgia piece for me (yes I know... I'm an old man). When I would look at my DVD collection the absence of the first two Star Wars films always seemed a glaring omission.

Looking back on my first viewing of the film, it sounds lame but the film's opening title sequence and initial shot of the Empirical ship passing over head in pursuit of Leah was awesome. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before, it grabbed me by the nads and insured that I'd be a captive viewer for the next 2 + hours. It’s amazing how cheesy the effects in that scene look now, but 30 years ago it was movie magic.

3. Yeah, the original movie in the theaters was like something that people had never seen before. I hesitate to call any movie "life changing", but it was pretty close for a lot of people.

Now, I was only born in 1976 so I didn't see the original in theaters until it was re-released in 1979. But I was spellbound. And as you said, it started right from the opening scene.

Frankly, I should have known there was going to be trouble with the 2nd trilogy when Lucas decided to re-edit the originals and throw in all new computer animations. Some of the changes looked great, but why mess with the plot even slightly?

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I can remember queueing to see it on the opening night. I was 8 at the time. There was no facility to book in advance back then & we queued for about 2-3 hours to get in.

There were a lot of frustrated people turned away. It was like that every night for a couple of weeks.

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Did Homer Simpson walk past saying 'Wow, what an ending. I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father'

btw when you guys saw the originals at the movies, in your eyes did the special effects look 'real' or could you tell they were real fake?

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I went to the opening day showing as well. I remember getting a button that said "May the force be with you" and a promo slick. Being the hording guy that I am, I had that button forever but somewhere along the line I lost it. Boo.

I was only 12 at the time so I wasn't really the most critical viewer, but the effects blew me away. It's amazing how cheeseball they look now.

8. How did you get that picture of me? :ha:

9. No, but had the internet been around back then everyone would have knows the spoilers...

Lucas' special effects were groundbreaking back then. No, they weren't perfect, but they did stuff that had never been seen before. It was pretty realistic looking.

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Dude I was 8,it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen at that time. I became Han Solo & imagined my dog was Chewy. Happy times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar