Favorite Musical Decade

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Broken Record, May 1, 2009.

?
  1. Current (2000s)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 1990s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. 1980s

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. 1970s

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1960s

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. 1950s

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Ancient

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans&SkinsFan

Titans&SkinsFan The future is wearing #10

gotta go with the current stuff...and some 90s
    things I grew/growing up with

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Um. NO.

If you're trying to compare the slim number of record companies to today's easy-to-do media, you're completely lost on this subject. As you just proved.

If you truly think a record shop in the 70s that could literally hold EVERY album currently out compares to today's endless content is a close race, you have no idea.

lol

Now bands can go to tons of in-home studios to record. How many do you think there were in the 70s? C'mon Cruds- get it together.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The thing about the 70s is that 5 people could say that is their fav decade for entirely different reasons.

Art-prog rock

Jazz fusion especially the multicultural nature of that time.

Punk

Disco

Funk

Things were just so much more creative and open back at that time. Bands like yes, kansas, peter gabriel era genesis, steeley dan would not be given the time of day from a record company. Queen might have had a hard time getting a record deal today and i seriously doubt that bohemian rhapsody gets air play at 5 minutes 55 seconds. Almost didn't make it in 1975.

Album rock radio FM stations who would play an entire side of an album allowed for this creativity and you had the same people who listened to the bands i just mentioned also listening to fusion jazz and harder stuff like zepplin and deep purple. A very eclectic mix of music you would hear on the radio then.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What difference does it make if everything sounds the same? I agree i think the opportunity is there for an outpouring of progressive and creative music but who are the great bands making money at it?

The 70s was the decade of the great bands. bands that still have major following today.

There is some hope and there are artists today who will be popular for the next 30 years. Josh groban sells millions of records even though half his songs are in Italian.

I guess amy lee would be the great female voice in rock today but evanesence is not a band that has pushed the envelope too far they are still basically like most rock bands it is the voice that made them.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

There are tons, depending on what genre you like. And they're just as progressive and creative as they were back then.
    Radiohead, Muse, White Stripes, Coldplay, Mogwai, Arcade Fire... just a couple. And if you like these and admit they're talented then there are tons more that could be recommended.
    That's just rock also.

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I hear ya, but I think DW has a point in that the gems are far more accessable today... they're just on the other side of that monitor image before you.... it's not necessary to go out to a record store and sift through albums at a listening bar... a nice way to kill time, but inconvenient for most; and most didn't do that... they just accepted what was on the radio, hence that "handful of bands" he was referring to, which are now known as "classic rock/soul/oldies".

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

1-Plenty of "greats" didn't make any money at it.
    2-In many markets, classic rock is the only rock available, so the same stuff is getting pushed on a younger generation. This doesn't make them great or timeless... it makes them "product". As for the boomers who listen to it, they're stuck in a time warp and want to keep living their high school nostalgia over and over... they're not even up for considering a listen to anything else. That doesn't make them "great"... it makes them "crutch".

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Oh stop nobody "forces" anything on anybody. If a 20 year old listens to hendrix or the doors it is for basically the same reasons people listened that music 20 years ago or longer.

The reason i mentioned making money is that it matters not how good you are if nobody can hear you.

We could all be more open minded but if somebody was going on a musical sojourn outside if their own generation i would prefer it be backwards not forwards. Robert johnson, bop or swing as opposed to creed or nickelback.

Art has no expiration date.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Question, what rock bands in the last 40 years sound like yes other than bands who actually copied them like star castle(Not starkiller)?

Who has ever sounded like kansas?

DW used vanilla examples of bands like radiohead and white stripes as examples of highly creative music. What ground did they break?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ah yes like the kevin kline character in the big chill. around 2 minutes in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyrQ...44BC0AFE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=24

Maybe it was because some people had a decade of music worth holding onto.

I never attended my senior prom. Soxcat did and he needed a collar and a leash for his date. In any event i don't recall pink floyd or emerson lake and palmer performing there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar