Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's much easier for us to sit here and spend someone else's money.

Not too many years ago, the best cap management strategies seemed to center around locking up your core players early. The Eagles were one of the best at it, identifying and locking up young players for long contracts. The problem became that the market outgrew the value of the back years of the contract. The Eagles had that issue with several players. The bears had the same with Urlacher, the Texans now have the same issue with Johnson.

For a team to sign a new deal with a player still under several contract years, the team has to get some value for giving up the remaining cheaper years. (Not that CJ would accept that at this point, given his public statements.)

For example, if we tear up CJ's contract, and sign him to a six year deal worth $45 million (less than what he's asking for, significantly). The last year or two of that contract will probably have him playing for 6 or 7 million per season. If it's that or lower, then even if the deal goes well and CJ remains one of the best backs in football, then by the end of the deal, the market will have passed him by. So, basically, we would end up getting him for four seasons (rather than the three that we have him under contract for), at a MUCH higher cost/risk, getting only one year of benefit. The real benefit only comes from getting CJ on board, and to stop complaining. The problem there is that the more players who complain and sit out that you concede to, the more players start to follow that path, and earlier and earlier, I might add.

It is not in any way in the Titans' long term interest to buckle to CJ right now.

2. GoTitans3801

More directly, on the uncapped year part of the equation... the 30% rule will keep CJ's salary from rising too high, just exacerbating the problem. Meaning that three or four seasons from now, CJ won't remember the 25-30 million guaranteed and the 20 million in signing bonus, he'll just see that he's getting 6 million for that season, when other worse backs are getting 8. If we're to believe JC, he'll have spent that money, and we'll need to pay him ahead of time again to support his lifestyle and move some more family members to Nashville.

Sorry, that just doesn't sound like a good investment.

I want CJ here. I want him as a Titan for life. That being said, he's pushing way too hard, way too early, and it's a bad idea for us to just give in.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

GoTitans3801......logic and common sense is lost on the homers.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Not true. It took you a week to come up with that rubbish. C.J. is more concerned with his on the field presence than he cares about being greedy. He needs to be paid plain and simple.

5. amy

amy Starter

"He needs to be paid plain and simple."

Yes, he does. But he wants 45 mil and he wants it now. It's NOT going to happen, no matter what. I still say he will not be playing this season. The ONLY way Bud is going to pay him is if he thinks paying him that much will get him a SB before CJ wears out. And I don't think he is willing to put that hope on the line. jmo

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Clearly you and Chapparal don't get the point I'm making, and I'm not sure what the hell the homer comment has to do with anything.

"The Uncapped part of the equation".... Let's discuss. We sign CJ now, paying the majority of it as signing bonus this season, off the books for future seasons. Now we have extra cap money to sign an elite free agent, or re-sign any breakout players, all the while CJ appears cheap on the books.

Of course if CJ is rushing for 1600 a season and scoring 10tds a season, he'll want more money in 4-5 years. Every player in the NFL would. Every single one. I know we don't pay to keep a lot of elite players around here, so we don't have a lot of exposure to this as fans, but this is how the NFL operates.

I mean, you guys would rather not cave to CJ, even at the cost of him missing games this season. Then if he plays well, sign him after the season, when he'll want MORE money since we played hardball with him. That contract will be more spread out, but it will also take a bigger chunk of the cap each season (as opposed to signing him in this uncapped year).

And all FOR WHAT? So Bud Adams saves $20 million this year? I mean, i thought if he won a superbowl he would be ready to "go to bed". Not having the best player on the team doesn't help the odds.

Or you want it so CJ won't become lazy and not play since he already has his money? I really don't see anything to conclude that would be the case. And if it was SO WHAT (to you)?

I mean, sure it's Bud's money. So he has to look at it as "Do I really want to fork over $20-30 million right now?". But as a fan, I don't care about Bud's personal finances. All i know is he has 100s of millions and he's on his way out. IF winning a Superbowl was such a major goal, I'd be spending right now. And like I said, if we get CJ now, it's more money to work with in the future.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Alex1939

Given that Bud will be lucky to see 5 more years, if he's serious about getting a lombardi before he's gone, why not spend money now? Can't take it with you.

There is one reason that has not been touched upon that makes sense to me: Bud knows next year will be a strike year played with scabs.

Why pay a guy a huge chunk of money, when the future of the league is cloudy. And if you likely thought that union players won't be playing next year, it doesn't make sense regardless how bad you want a championship.

8. Alex1939

And to everyone whining about "you got your 7 million signing bonus, shut up and play".. you need to stfu.

The job that is an NFL player takes a toll. We find out more about the longterm effects all the time.

It's a physical profession, with one or two windows to get paid huge.

Look at Bulluck. He should have a multi-million dollar payday right now, but he'll be lucky to play for vet minimum.

You think it's smart for CJ to play a full season, risking career injury, instead of trying to make money right now?

Those of you that criticize him for wanting more money seriously lack financial sense.

9. GoTitans3801

Oh, boy.

Not every player who plays well constantly asks to re-up their contract. In fact, some of the biggest superstars don't. Brady, Manning, and Brees are the three that come to mind. You think that we don't understand superstar players? No, you just have to be more careful with contracts for superstar players. Both Manning and Brady are entering the FINAL year of their contracts this season, but are in camp and not worried about getting a deal worked out. Plenty of players do what it takes to get a new contract without causing a disruption.

The problem with signing major extensions early (if you had bothered to read my last post) is that it makes it MORE likely for a player to become dis-satisfied with his contract and simple start holding out again sooner the next time around. I even gave a bunch of examples...

Even if he holds out, what's the cost? Why do I care? I care because I recognize that first, Bud is a business man, and second, Bud isn't stupid enough to just endlessly throw money after players. So every wasted million is money that will NOT be spent on players in the future, because it didn't lead to a return. Bud has a LOT more money than you or I do. That doesn't mean that he doesn't pay attention to how he spends it. In fact, the fact that he is rich means that he's more likely to care about how he spends his money. So I don't want him to make bad decisions, because it makes him more likely to cut back on his spending in the future.

I'm in this for the long hall. I don't want to have one blaze at glory, make the superbowl, and then spend 30 years waiting for another one. I want to see the Titans at the top of the heap, or competing for it, every year. Part of how teams like the Colts, Steelers, and Patriots have stayed competitive is because of how they've handled their contracts and rosters. Business is business, that's how you stay on top.

10. GoTitans3801

I'm well aware of the costs of being a professional football player. I'm also aware of what a remarkably high percentage of players waste their incredible opportunity to be set for life. They aren't entitled to the "lifestyle," where they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars at the drop of a hat. They're earning a lifetime's worth of money in a few short years. If they don't stock a majority of it away for their children and themselves, or for charity once they die, then they really are just being incredibly short sighted.

Yes, look at Bulluck. When he was drafted, 1st round picks' contracts weren't as huge, but he did get paid. Also, in case you're forgetting, he got a 35 million dollar extension 6 season ago. I'm sorry that he just lost his third major payday, but let's not pretend that EITHER of these two players should EVER have trouble feeding their family and providing for their own basic needs.

I understand, when someone comes into a lot more money than they are used to having, it's SO easy to lose it. I'd even argue that the NFL should massively increase the amount of instruction provided to the players on managing money (though it is currently available). That being said, CJ has played 2 years in the NFL. He gladly signed up for 5, guaranteeing him seven million dollars. He knew going into it that if he was good enough, he'd get the chance for more. And he will. By contract, not for three more seasons, and even then, the team would have every right to franchise him. That being said, there's no way that his contract situation will go down that way. He's going to get paid, and probably even next offseason. But we shouldn't have pity on him at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar