Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

First, notice the Titans are far from having the best player at any position. Name a great Titans player, and anyone could 1-up you with a bigger name. That's our problem, we have the best name at the RB spot, and we want to pay him backup kicker money. We Are screwed..... All it is, is how bad does C.J. want to play football in 2010? If he loves the game he'll cave. The Titans front office are proven stupid idiots and will blow a season to make a point.

C.J., my gold toothed homie,
    Do everyone a favor and show the Titans another 2K season and up the price on them. If they wanna beat the best, they're gonna have to pay YOU.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

^ Yup, trying to make a point. That's what they're doing. :rolleyes:

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We can't know what, if anything, can be done in the way of incentives under this CBA agreement. It may only be a combination of the 30% on his '09 salary and the signing bonus they have to work with.

4. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Yes and without him we were a 4-12 team at best.

Yes, with a fixed defense and special teams we could do better. Even without CJ. But 9-7 or 10-6 isn't as good as the Superbowl we'd get with CJ and a defense/special teams we could rely on.

No he isn't. But he is the best running back in the league. And being a run first team that we are, it only hurts us that much more not to have him here.

As for a distraction? Waaaaaaaay overhyped. Maybe when the media have their turn at the players and bombard them with these stupid asss questions that they do so well. Besides that I doubt any player has his mind on CJ not being there. Except maybe Ringer. I'm sure he thought about CJ while he was in every drill being the only RB there.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Ugh.

He acknowledges that this is a remarkably small problem based on where Johnson was signed. As he says, if he'd been picked in the second and signed a four year contract, it would be easy to get worked out. If he'd been picked higher, he would have made more.

I agree that RBs have a shorter life span. They also seem to be a very replaceable position. Why, exactly, does that make it a good idea for the Titans to invest heavily at that position? If anything, this article points out that the smartest business move from the Titans standpoint would be to run CJ into the ground for five years, franchise him, and then let him walk.

That's not what I think that they should do. However, precisely because of where CJ was drafted, I think the best middle ground for the two sides is to have CJ either play this season and then get a top end of the market deal, or to have him accept a lesser deal this season.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We need C.J., he's big enough and good enough that he makes the Titans exciting. He's a fun player to get behind and cheer for. He's electric, he's hot like fire. I don't want my team to be boring and make a quick exit come the playoffs. C.J. has been the one bright spot for this team since he came in. Let's keep him.

Use him up? Why? Unless we win a title, using him up will be Eddie George 2.0. And that left a sour taste in most fans mouths. Football is suppose to be fun, it shouldn't be about the politics and BS. C.J. is fun so let's pay the dude.

8. iQon

iQon Starter

Nothing several Titans fans have said for years. Yet you have Bud Adams apologists who cite his actions decades ago as proof he spends money.

Well, he's not spending money on the Titans. I guess in hindsight, it was fine to let our older players walk. They did little when they cashed elsewhere. But you're running CJ to death... the guy is still very young... and they refuse to pay him? What will the excuse be this time?

I see nothing wrong with a raise chock full of incentives. The less guaranteed, the harder he works to earn his money, only to for another raise 2 years from now

9. murrykline

murrykline Starter

right or wrong....Marshall Faulk is a complete jackass.... After you meet him, you will know what I mean.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Because the majority of the investment is off the books after this season (uncapped), meaning for the next 3 seasons we have the best RB in the NFL signed on our team at very cheap cost to the cap.

That frees us up financially to be more active in future seasons signing free agents and/or re-signing our own. We can add more elite players and have a better chance at a Superbowl run.

Or Bud can save $20 million now while CJ sits out the first couple of games this season. Bud saving money seems to be more important to a majority of posters here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar